Anyone load pistol bullets on a single stage press?

justinp61

I've bought a Glock 40 for an upcoming trip to Idaho to visit family and do some hiking. The pistol is for bear and cat protection, the chances of needing it are small, but still there none the less. By the end of the week everything to load for it should be here. I have a Lee progressive and a Rockchucker, the Lee is currently set up for my .40. Years ago I had a delay fire in my .44 Mag from ammo loaded on the Lee. Not a big problem shooting in my yard, big problem if you have a charging bear or cat.

My thoughts are to load the ammo I'm taking on the trip on my Rockchucker, I'll weigh every charge and will know exactly what I have.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Justin

I've bought a Glock 40 for an upcoming trip to Idaho to visit family and do some hiking. The pistol is for bear and cat protection, the chances of needing it are small, but still there none the less. By the end of the week everything to load for it should be here. I have a Lee progressive and a Rockchucker, the Lee is currently set up for my .40. Years ago I had a delay fire in my .44 Mag from ammo loaded on the Lee. Not a big problem shooting in my yard, big problem if you have a charging bear or cat.

My thoughts are to load the ammo I'm taking on the trip on my Rockchucker, I'll weigh every charge and will know exactly what I have.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Justin
I've loaded on both a progressive and single stage for pistols and rifles. Not really much of a difference between the two as far as reliable loads. But since a single stage has only one function going on per stroke it is easier to operate. I like to do the decapping and sizing on the progressive so I don't have to take the cases off the press. Then clean primer pockets and inspect. And then primer, charge, and seat while using a 50 case loading block. It gives me a balance of ease of inspecting primers being seated, charges in each case, while speeding up the whole process. YMMV.

If you're using cast bullets, need a decent flare of the case to get em in there. Use a Lee FCD factory crimp die as last stage. If there for serious work, a good last check is the digital scale, only use the ones that meet with Ur perfect specs.

I just loaded some ammo for my Glock 40 gen 4 on my rock Chucker, worked great. Tested for function and had zero issues. Takes more time on a single stage, no doubt about that but I won't shoot that pistol more than 200-300 times a year.

Last edited:
If you're using cast bullets, need a decent flare of the case to get em in there. Use a Lee FCD factory crimp die as last stage. If there for serious work, a good last check is the digital scale, only use the ones that meet with Ur perfect specs.
If you are loading for your Glock, I would suggest loading only jacketed bullets. Unless it is a Gen 5, using cast bullets is not recommended. Glock put a different type of rifling in the barrel of the Gen 5. Also because the cartridge headspaces on the mouth of the case, don't put too much of a crimp.

If you are loading for your Glock, I would suggest loading only jacketed bullets. Unless it is a Gen 5, using cast bullets is not recommended. Glock put a different type of rifling in the barrel of the Gen 5. Also because the cartridge headspaces on the mouth of the case, don't put too much of a crimp.
Got the Gen 3, it,s seen thousands of cast, but yeah jackets are good stuff too. Worth it if ya get a Grizzly to keep moving

Thoughts?

Thanks, Justin
I do exactly what you are asking. I load everything with a single stage to make sure every round is as close to exactly the same as possible

The only thing different I do is that I have multiple single stage presses set up so I can set each die up at the start. When turning out large quantities I usually have a friend or two over and each person runs a press