single stage press

Sleepy Time

Looking at getting set up in reloading and looking at a single stage press. Been doing a little reloading with a buddy and using his equipment, but want my own. My question is this, is there big difference in the single stage presses out there? Just say a Lee Challenger that was super cheap, but had some great reviews. What gives. Don't mind spending money, but will save where I can.

I use and have had my RCBS Rock Chucker for 30 years and it still works great and can handle almost everything I shoot In fact I have not had anything it can't handle from 223 to 416 Rem Mag.

Thanks for the reply.

Also wondering if the Forster CoAx press is worth the extra money? From what I'm reading they are the best thing since they started putting pockets on shirts. Anyone here have any input?

"Don't mind spending money, but will save where I can."

I've been doing this stuff since the mid 60s and long ago got passed the "mine is better than your's" nonsense because, fact is, presses are vastly over rated by their respective fans. Presses are a VERY simple devices, not hard to design, not hard to make. Any iron press (and most alum alloy ones) is vastly stronger than it needs to be to FL size thin walled brass case and that's their toughest job. And any press will last a couple of lifetimes unless it neglected or abused so longivity is a wash no matter the brand.

THE best deal on a single stage press in today's market is Lee's Classic Cast. It's big, strong, handles spent primers properly (unlike my old RC), precisely machined on CNC tooling and it has execellant user freatures. It's the better press of its type at any price so get one and save that extra money for a good beam scale and powder measure. And ignore anyone's "quick-change" die bushings, it's quite easy to swap screw-in dies in maybe 45 seconds and those bushings get costly if you have more than one or two sets of dies.

Thanks for the reply.

Also wondering if the Forster CoAx press is worth the extra money? From what I'm reading they are the best thing since they started putting pockets on shirts. Anyone here have any input?

I like mine! I'd also love to get my hands on a second one. The press is the most powerfull press on the market, and is perfect for heavy case forming. You won't have to buy any shell holders, and even the priming attachment is first rate. But I'd have to say the single best thing about them is how square they are.
gary

THE best deal on a single stage press in today's market is Lee's Classic Cast. It's big, strong, handles spent primers properly (unlike my old RC), precisely machined on CNC tooling and it has execellant user freatures. It's the better press of its type at any price so get one and save that extra money for a good beam scale and powder measure.
I've only been reloading for a year or so, but recently bought my own reloading gear (been using my dad's for a while). I did a bunch of research and I ended up buying the Classic Cast myself. Popular opinion was that this is a very solid press with good, simple features. After having used it, I must say that I agree. Very solid, great value.

--Ben

"Don't mind spending money, but will save where I can."

I've been doing this stuff since the mid 60s and long ago got passed the "mine is better than your's" nonsense because, fact is, presses are vastly over rated by their respective fans. Presses are a VERY simple devices, not hard to design, not hard to make. Any iron press (and most alum alloy ones) is vastly stronger than it needs to be to FL size thin walled brass case and that's their toughest job. And any press will last a couple of lifetimes unless it neglected or abused so longivity is a wash no matter the brand.

THE best deal on a single stage press in today's market is Lee's Classic Cast. It's big, strong, handles spent primers properly (unlike my old RC), precisely machined on CNC tooling and it has execellant user freatures. It's the better press of its type at any price so get one and save that extra money for a good beam scale and powder measure. And ignore anyone's "quick-change" die bushings, it's quite easy to swap screw-in dies in maybe 45 seconds and those bushings get costly if you have more than one or two sets of dies.
/QUOTE]

Thanks, and I'm positive that this is completely sound information. However, I ordered the Forster press. I tend of lean towards overkill.

[QUOTE And ignore anyone's "quick-change" die bushings, it's quite easy to swap screw-in dies in maybe 45 seconds and those bushings get costly if you have more than one or two sets of dies.[/QUOTE]

I went with the Hornady lock and load press. It is just a basic press, but it does have the quick change bushings which I personally like. I have enough of the bushings to have one on every die I use. For me it is very convenient to have all of my dies set up with the bushing so all I have to do is swap it out, takes about 5 seconds. You can buy a 3 pack of bushings from Midway for less than $10.

Bought my RCBS 41 years ago, loaded over 30 different cartridges from 223 to 500-450 H&H, Kept it lubed, stayed tight, probably pass it on to my grandson.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.