Best Single Stage Press?

crazyhorse

Looking to buy a new single stage press and the more I research it appears the Forster Coax is a popular choice. I was originally looking at the Redding Boss as I have been extremely pleased with their dies in the past.
The Forster is definitely different with the "floating" shell holder and die insert design. I do understand the whole perfect alignment thing that is offered by the design, but at the same time I "know what I know" with the traditional setup.
Would love to hear the thoughts from the wealth of experience in this group.

Cartridges I load for are as follows...
218 Bee
7-08
7RM
300WSM
300WM

Thanks for the info! The press I have now is probably 25yrs old, its one of the smaller RCBS models that came as part of a combo kit. It does a great job but is starting to show its age. I've even noticed it flexing slightly when sizing the big stuff like 300WM. I will likely wind up going with the Forster, just had some apprehension with the setup when trying to set head space during sizing and controlling seating depth. I noticed on one retailer site, it had 155 reviews with 154 5*'s!

I have the Forster and like it. I'd recommend getting the Forster lock rings to go on your dies. They are thicker and have a larger OD than some of the others. The thicker rings move up/down less in the die slot. The larger OD gives a larger bearing surface on the top side for seating in the die slot during the sizing and seating operation. I've had no trouble with inconsistent shoulder bump or bullet seating.

I have a Rock Chucker and wanted to upgrade to Foster. Got it and used it for 3 reloading session and I could not get the heck of it. I sold it and am using my faithful Rock Chucker again.

I used a Rockchucker and still have one. It is one dependable press. I have 2 Hollywood Senior presses set up that for me are as good as it gets. They are not made anymore but can be found here and there. Build quality is awesome and operation is butter smooth. I will never let these go for my go to.........Just something different to ponder.....;)

I bought my press in 1978 for the sum of $83. People laughed at me for spending so much money (also included the dealer) when I could have got by for less than forty dollars. I started out using RCBS dies in it, and they worked well. Later I bought a set of Co-Ax dies at a gun show, and now that brand is about all I buy. I do a lot of case forming on the Co-Ax press. Some of it's pretty heavy. The press is as tight and square today as it was in 1978. It won't do everything easily, but 98% yes. I have a small RCBS that I use for odd jobs, but never reloaded anything on it that I can remember.

When I bought the press, the dealer called and asked me if he could try it out in his shop. Being as I wasn't in a hurry; I said have at it. He called me a couple days later to say it was the best press he'd ever seen, and had ordered in another five of them. They were all sold before they arrived! It reached a point where he was selling two a week. A year or so later I had him order me about a half dozen die sets. Three were for revolver ammunition, an the others were Co-Ax dies for .222, 6mm, and 30-06. Gerry also shot the 6mm and 30-06, and asked me to allow him to try them out. Said to go ahead. He ends up buying a dozen die sets for his own use. This was before the micrometer head came out, and when they came out I had Fred Sinclair order in the sets for me. For the price, they are a steal.

The press comes with a pretty good priming device, but mine is an older B series, and the device uses an odd shell holder. I learned to modify RCBS and Lee case holders. I do use the sliding jaws, and have learned a few tricks over the years using them. I rarely swap jaws, but shoot the .378" and .471" cases most of the time. I do swap jaws when going with rimmed ammunition, but not everytime. Remember the jaws are not shell holders, but shell extractors.
I figure me press will last thru my grand sons
gary

I have had a rock chucker since 1974 and finally bought a new one which I like better than the old one except for the auto primer on the new one it sucks,so I mounted my old press back on the bench and use it for priming only.

I went cheap with a Lee Precision but I use Redding dies to reload my 300shortmag and 50 Beowulf rounds. FWIW I can cover 3 shots with a dime with my 300shortmag. Lee isn't necessarily the best I know but I focused on good dies and so far it worked out. Maybe a good bang for the buck.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.