single stage press

To all the Forster CO-AX owners, I have a 28 Nosler and using Redding competition die seater, is the CO-AX yoke going to clear the taller than normal seating dies? I also have a 45-120 Sharps, will a 3.5" cartridge fit inside this press? One other thing I would like to know, I have a Hornady bullet puller, since this goes into a press, has anybody used a bullet puller you use in a press to pull bullets in the CO-AX? Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

I load my 45-110 on mine with clearance. You are good to go. I also load my 300 RUM.

I have had a RCBS Rock Chucker since the mid seventies .I have no reason to change

Last edited:
First press was an RCBS Jr in the late '60's - it served me well for a number of years. Then, I got an original Bonanza CoAx (same basic design as the Forster, who acquired it) - excellent press and I just sold it (in perfect working order) and replaced it with a B4 Forster CoAx for the slightly-greater yoke clearance. (I actually prefer the priming set-up on the original to the new model - that's the only significant change from the original Bonanza design).
Also had an RCBS Ammomaster, their first shot at a serious progressive - bad design w/some real probs, and hence discontinued.
Acquired a used Dillon XL-650, serviced it and gave it a minor overhaul - excellent press, and Dillon is a superior product (w/superior service) if you want a progressive.
Have used and looked at various other presses, single-stage and progressive, but not owned them.
For a single-stage, as you asked?: the Bonanza/Forster CoAx - still the best single-stage press ever! Buy once/Cry once, and you're set for life.

My first press was a Bananza B2. I came with the sliding jaws, but had the old style shell holders for the priming attachment. Spent the ghastly sum of $83 for it in 1978, and I could probably sell it for close to three times that money right now. Power wise, you really notice it with long strait walled cases. Effortlessly!
gary

I own 2 presses, a Rockchuck Supreme and a Co-Ax. Both do there job exceptionally well! (I use the Rockchuck for my .223 AR's and the Co-Ax for my 6.5CM Bolt platform). If I had to choose just one though, it would hands down be the Forster Co-Ax though!

Quick question about the Co-ax. I see now the new model for sale is the B5, what are the differences between the B4 and B5?

Quick question about the Co-ax. I see now the new model for sale is the B5, what are the differences between the B4 and B5?

This may answer your question,

Model Revisions/Enhancements
B1 Compound leverage, reloading press. (Designer: Clarence Purdie in conjunction with Army Marksmanship Unit)
B2 Eliminated removable shellholders from top priming station.
B3 Added 1⅛" more clearance under yoke handle to accommodate tall dies.
B4 Enlarged drop tube (028271-057) for primer collection and larger set screw (028271-028) for securing handle.
B5 Two pins (028271-037-PIN) added to Shell Holder Jaw Housing (028271-037) to retain Jaw Pressure Springs (028271-039).

Kiwikid

Last edited:
I have a co-ax as well, and love it. But I think there may be the occasional issue with COAL and some dies. I could not get things adjusted for my buddies 340 Wby. Had to seat the bullets with my lowly RCBS RS2 press, which is not exactly a premier press. But it worked.... I have the B3 version.

Another vote for the Forester co-ax, like it so much thinking about buying another one. Set one up for large cases and the other for standard, but they are a lot more money now, wait for a sale and buy one, you won't be sorry.

Lee Classic Cast here. It has a 1 1/8" ram and is built like a tank. The large opening makes it easy to work with. It has a longer stroke than some presses but still has an excellent feel, especially when seating bullets. I've never had a problem with runout that I had with an older single stage press.

when I ordered in my Co-Ax, the dealer thought I was nuts! Never heard of a Bananza press, and felt the $83 price tag was nuts. I insisted this was the one I wanted so he ordered it in. It showed up, and he removed it from the box for inspection (with my permission). He called me up later and asked me if I'd let him size a few rounds in it. I said to go ahead. He did .308 and 30-06 brass if memory serves me right. Used generic RCBS dies. I saw him later that night (we worked together), and he told me he ordered in five more presses for the shop. I told him I'd be by to pick it up Saturday or Sunday. Between then and the weekend, he sold all five of the presses that hadn't arrived yet! Why? He let the folks try the press in his shop, and they liked what they saw. The following Monday morning he orders in another ten presses, and was selling two or more a week for several months, but he kept one setup in the shop all the time with two or three others sitting near it to try. Gerry told me he sold over thirty presses the first year alone (about six months).
While this was going on I had him order in four die sets from Forster, and we went thru the same thing again. He then began to stock their die sets in common calibers. Within a year, they only folks with more Forster dies and presses was Sinclair in the northern part of the state.
Gerry asked me one day how I found the Co-Ax press? I told him the NRA Convention had a row of presses from just about everybody, and I tried every one of them on military 7.62 brass. While going back to the Co-Ax several times, a guy walked up to me an said that's the one you want (already knew it). Said he owned two set up side by side, and used them almost everyday. He was Bob Milek. Mr. Milek introduced me to Bill Jordan and John Wooters, plus a couple others I don't remember their names. Then he waved at this old man with the biggest hat I'd ever seen! Of course that was Elmer Kieth!!!. Skeeter Skelton said he was ordering in two presses, and it was like a gun writer's convention right in front of me. Oh! Lest I forget, they introduced me to Col. Askins!! Fifty years ago!
gary

I have a Chucker and a Classic Cast, but I am looking for a Co-Ax at the moment. When the stars align and I can find one in stock when I there is some kind of sale it will be mine... The chucker just doesn't feel like it's aligned correctly and I have a tough time with concentricity, even with Redding Competition dies...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.