single stage press

I need a new single stage press. Which one do you like best?
I use a Lee Classic Cast, because RG (Randy) Robinette ("father" of the 30BR and owner of BIB Bullets aka Ballistic Idiot Bullets) found that they produced the straightest results in his bullet manufacturing shop.

i've had the bonanza coax since 1981 & still works like a dream. this might be the, now days, forster coax that others have mentioned?

Used a RCBS Rock Chucker for 35 years and finally decided to upgrade. Friend has a new Foster which is nice but decided on the MEC Marksman. Been using it now for about 3 months and really love it. Extremely well built, very solid, smooth and tight. Optional elevated base works very well for achieving a comfortable height above your bench; sitting or standing. Floating shell holder is a plus and I have had no issues with case alignment or bullet concentricity. Just use my rock chucker for knocking out primers now. I hand prime all my cases so the primer features with different machines didn't really matter. Sam Mills at Panhandle Precision does an excellent review of the MEC on Youtube. Hope this helps with your selection

I use a Redding ultra mag for sizing because it takes no effort at all. I seat and expander size neck with brownells expander with co ax.

To all the Forster CO-AX owners, I have a 28 Nosler and using Redding competition die seater, is the CO-AX yoke going to clear the taller than normal seating dies? I also have a 45-120 Sharps, will a 3.5" cartridge fit inside this press? One other thing I would like to know, I have a Hornady bullet puller, since this goes into a press, has anybody used a bullet puller you use in a press to pull bullets in the CO-AX? Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Have the Co-ax and very happy with it. Should work with 28 Nosler, I load 338 Edge with 300gr Bergers and no clearance issues.

First press was an RCBS Jr in the late '60's - it served me well for a number of years. Then, I got an original Bonanza CoAx (same basic design as the Forster, who acquired it) - excellent press and I just sold it (in perfect working order) and replaced it with a B4 Forster CoAx for the slightly-greater yoke clearance. (I actually prefer the priming set-up on the original to the new model - that's the only significant change from the original Bonanza design).
Also had an RCBS Ammomaster, their first shot at a serious progressive - bad design w/some real probs, and hence discontinued.
Acquired a used Dillon XL-650, serviced it and gave it a minor overhaul - excellent press, and Dillon is a superior product (w/superior service) if you want a progressive.
Have used and looked at various other presses, single-stage and progressive, but not owned them.
For a single-stage, as you asked?: the Bonanza/Forster CoAx - still the best single-stage press ever! Buy once/Cry once, and you're set for life.

To all the Forster CO-AX owners, I have a 28 Nosler and using Redding competition die seater, is the CO-AX yoke going to clear the taller than normal seating dies? I also have a 45-120 Sharps, will a 3.5" cartridge fit inside this press? One other thing I would like to know, I have a Hornady bullet puller, since this goes into a press, has anybody used a bullet puller you use in a press to pull bullets in the CO-AX? Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,
Just had an issue w/that. I'd double-check, but if a new model, you should be OK. I had an original Bonanza CoAx - great press and still working like a champ. However, I discovered that for the mega-mags (RUM's, etc.) with match (micrometer) Redding Comp dies, the yoke wouldn't clear the top of the die. Hence, I sold old 'trusty' and acquired a newer B4 CoAx after noticing they'd lengthened the yoke slightly, probably for that very reason. All works fine now. Good luck!

My 25-06 Redding Competition dies have more than an inch of clearance below the yolk so i would think 28 Nosler dies would easily fit.
When I bought the Co-Ax press I had to alter my RCBS collet bullet puller. I removed the threaded shaft complete with handle that screws into the collet as this won't work in the yolk of the press. Then I bought a new hex head bolt the same length as the threaded shaft and brazed a nut onto the top of the new bolt just to give me a little more bolt head height. This is screwed back into the puller collet and I use a ratchet ring spanner to tighten and loosen the collet, it works great.

Kiwikid

Last edited:

My original press was a RCBS Jr that came in a Reloader Special kit back in the mid 70s. When I bought a concentricity gauge I found I had bad run out so i bought a Foster Co-Ax press about 5 years ago and the results are amazing. With Lapua and Norma cases in several different calibres it is not unusual to see run outs of less than .001".
Co-Ax receives my vote!

Kiwikid.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.