Best Single Stage Press?

My two favorite and accurate presses

Redding T7 - loaded thousands of rounds

Turban Prazipress 140 - the ultimate in fit n finish and precision - no regrets on the investment

Cheers

I started loading with an old Lyman Turrent press a friend brought to our house to hide it from his wife 1959 or 60. In 1965 came home from US Army. In Feb. 66 I bought a RCBS Jr. When I went to work as a wild life officer a case of primers a year went through the Jr. loading 38 Sp. and 357 Mag. Lyman 3 piece die set with carbide sizer. Slow job but kept me in ammo to keep me sharp with my service revolver, and dispatching crippled deer. The little press was hard to FLS 270 Win. and 338 WM. cases on. Midway had a sale on RCBS RockChucker about 1991 I added one. It is great for FL sizing. Now I usually just set the Rock Chucker up with the sizing die, A Lee hand primer donated by a friend for priming. The Jr. press is set up with the seating die. I like the Jr. as I can feel the bullet sliding in the case and seating. Been using RCBS dies for all my rifles. Some of the new Micrometer dies would be nice to set OACL quickly.

I am to old to go into competition again or take a look at the Forester press and dies for precision loading for matches.

I started with a Forster Co-Ax. Didn't like the ergonomics and pinched my fingers a lot trying to seat bullets in a 300 WM. Bought an Ultramag that I like a lot better, the Co-Ax went down the road. Added a second Ultramag and a Lee Classic Cast to the bench. Both have a huge opening and are fun to use.

I'm sure the Forster is great, but I have no doubts about REDDING. For precision with the longer cartridges, the Big Boss is what I'd recommend. One thing common to REDDING SS Presses is that they have Top-Dead-Center and it definitely helps control OACL. T-D-C stops ram travel at the same exact point every time. My Boss has been used for many years. I don't believe the Big Boss was available when I bought it. T-D-C is why I bought the Boss vs the Rockchucker and other competitors.

When LEE saw the benefit of this they added it to the Classic Cast SS and the Classic Turret Press. I have the Classic Turret and use my own mods for handgun loads. With a good/uniform bullet I can hold OACL tolerances to +/- .001" with REDDING standard Titanium Carbide dies. Not looking to go progressive anytime soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.