How many days do you hunt a year and what do you hunt mostly big gane wise ?

dgr416

I miss my days or hunting Alaska then deer here every year. I USE to hunt at least 80 days a year back then now o am down to about 50 to 60 days a year mostly for deer bears and hogs .I mostly jusy hunt treestands here .I miss riding all day on 4 wheelers in Alaska but moose season was only two weeks long .I hunted caribou but it was super iffy because of migrations .Hopefully I can keep hunting for at least 15 more years .I know my climbing treestand days are numbered.

Roughly 10 days a year here. Strictly deer & almost exclusively whitetail deer. Probably 8 days archery & 2 days rifle huniting on average . In the event I fill my Archery deer tag early I am generally bummed to wrap up that season early. Rifle hunting has been mostly a meat hunt for me over the years. Not uncommon for me to have 1 or 2 rifle tags to fill & often that is filled on opening day.

We are lucky here in Ga with a long deer season and long bear season and year round hog season. DEER and bear gun season is from the third Sat on Oct till second Sunday in Jan I hunt our farm and a couple of public places that are still good .They are building houses all around our farm which is terrible .

I miss my days or hunting Alaska then deer here every year. I USE to hunt at least 80 days a year back then now o am down to about 50 to 60 days a year mostly for deer bears and hogs .I mostly jusy hunt treestands here .I miss riding all day on 4 wheelers in Alaska but moose season was only two weeks long .I hunted caribou but it was super iffy because of migrations .Hopefully I can keep hunting for at least 15 more years .I know my climbing treestand days are numbered.
Down to 50-60?!?!?!?😱
I thought I was blessed being able to spend a few weeks for big game and a day or two midweek for birds during season. Would love to hear a few of your adventures with all the time you've spent out chase'n critters!

Down to 50-60?!?!?!?😱
I thought I was blessed being able to spend a few weeks for big game and a day or two midweek for birds during season. Would love to hear a few of your adventures with all the time you've spent out chase'n critters!
I have to gp back to Alaska next year before I get too old for the adventures I want to still do .I wish we had gopros when i was in alaaka for 12 years..I have to write a book one day lots of adventures I got about 10 more good years of hunting in Me 61 now .This past fall I got two nice bucks the old fashion way no bait no trail cams no grunt calls .It took a month but I got two out of one stand lots of fun .It was not fun dragging them out even with my deer carrier.

I miss my days or hunting Alaska then deer here every year. I USE to hunt at least 80 days a year back then now o am down to about 50 to 60 days a year mostly for deer bears and hogs .I mostly jusy hunt treestands here .I miss riding all day on 4 wheelers in Alaska but moose season was only two weeks long .I hunted caribou but it was super iffy because of migrations .Hopefully I can keep hunting for at least 15 more years .I

all year around moose boos bear right around 60with 30 in camp but when the temp drops below 40 the cold gets to me now so that is the days I spend tying flys or just playing with the pup.

I have hunted 15 days during rifle season… then I found deer in our industrial park at work a few years ago and added about 25-30

Now retired in 2023 and in South GA where G/Kids are and had no land to hunt….

That was until I met a nice ole lady and her sister… (80s) who have over 500 acres and walk it some for exercise.
She has hogs on property and is scared to walk… so since Jan I have hunted 25-30 days!
Oh yea… LOADED with Deer
So 2024 I will hunt maybe 75-100 days!
Love retirement!!

Attachments

• IMG_1993.jpeg
    IMG_1993.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1994.jpeg
    IMG_1994.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 26
I'm envious of the time many of you spend in the field. Back in my younger days I would estimate approximately 45 days/year actually hunting. Mainly whitetail, squirrels, ducks, and doves were my target. Now even though I'm retired, I'm lucky to be hunting for 21 days. This doesn't count shooting squirrels and armadillos from my deck. I consider this yard and garden defense. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age or maybe my aversion to biting insects and poison ivy plus the desire of fishing is the reason.