what long range hunt do you have this year???

wildworks

What LR hunts do you all have planned and what are you doing it with?

I am doing a Nebraska deer hunt mule or WT. with my 30-378 sako action 30" Broughton. shooting 200 gr accubonds right now at 3525 fps. but hopeful richard gets his 30 cal dies soon and hope to make a big jump in bullet size! 250 + gr!! just the thought of a 250 + gr 30 cal. wildcat moving over 3000 fps. makes deer shake in there hooves!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I am guiding some LR whitetail hunts in late November on the Clearwater river breaks in Idaho. I have allowed a few days for myself and my 338 EDGE and am looking for a 160ish + deer.

wildworks,
just curious as to what magic powder-chrono combination you are using to get 3525fps with 200 ab's, I have had several of my friends shoot there 30-378's through my oehler35 chrono and they were not able to hit this vel. with 180ab's, they were using RL25 ,H870,H50bmg and retumbo.

Wildworks,

That does seem pretty fast for a 30-378 with a 200 gr bullet but I guess if the chamber is very tight and you have a fast bore this is possible in a 30" barrel. I would say you are on the VERY top end of velocity as I would agree with UncleB that this is more in line with 180 gr pill in the big 30 cal Wby. How long is your brass lasting??

Onto your question.....

I have a pronghorn permit that I will be using my 257 Allen Mag with and looking for a 500-800 yard kill(or where ever the big boy shows up at under 1/2 mile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!) This rifle will use the 156 gr ULD loaded to 3440 fps. With its drop chart developed BC of .820 it shoots pretty flat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

I will then be using my 270 Allen Mag to hopefully hammer a big whitetail in the general hunting season. This will be loaded with the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat loaded to 3500 fps.

Then I have a date with a big Canadian whitetail that I hope to get my 7mm Allen Mag barrel in for so I can throw a 200 gr ULD RBBT at a +300 lb canadian bruser at 3300 fps.

May do some elk hunting but more then likely will not have time with my Canadian trip as that will take up the last two weeks of November!!!

After that it will be sniping yotes at whatever ranges I can find them at and working on my 224, 338 and 510 AM wildcats.

Kirby Allen(50)

I leave this saturday for a Nothwest Saskatchewan moose hunt. It is not gonna be long range, 100-200yds, but it is gonna be the first guided hunt I will have ever been on.

Later in season Me and Bill Bailey have some good ideas for some long range whitetails hear in flat @$$ Oklahoma /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I do believe I have a date with a 1500yd pdog and maybe a 2k one before that.

Take it easy
Steve

One long range hunt is out of the way already. Bull moose that is, as I am sure you read in another post.

I have a 4 day dall sheep hunt coming this week and week end. Shots are likely to be 400-800 yards. Hopefully no more than 600.

I am also planning a mt. goat hunt this October. Shots could be 400-800 yards also.

I leave on the 11th of September through the 19th for a rutting bull elk hunt in SE Alaska. This is a bow hunt but shots can be in excess of 60 yards. For archery tackle that is a long range shot.

Good luck on your hunts!!

I leave Friday night for Homer Alaska to meet up with my dad and go moose hunting somewhere into the interior. Im hoping for a shot in the 600yd range.

I drew a mule deer tag on the snake and Salmon River brakes here in Idaho. It starts October 10th I've got a huge non typical running around with my name on him. Maybe a big black bear too. It will be ridge to ridge hunting at its best.
Depending on time and the mule deer success I may get a whitetail tag. Ive got a whitetail spot to shoot 800- 1100yds.

uncle B and fifty I do not have the ohler. I have a pro chrony digital, not as good I know but its what i have. and I am running them hot but it likes it that way! my best groups are at the top running 105 gr retumbo the chrony might be off but i wouldnt know , all i know is that it is consistant. i must admit that 3525 was the peak now that i look at my notes and i am running them a little slower but not much at 3480.?? I am not a pro at this game i just read it as it says????????

fifty brass runs no more than 5 shots that hot, but it isnt a bench gun that i shoot all day It is a long range hunting rig.

Heading to Souteast Colorado for a combo Mule Deer and Elk hunt at the end of Oct. for nine days. I have tried to get these tags for three years and they are finally mine. Where I am from, 400 yards is long range so I hope I can stay around that range or less. I will be toating a very accurate 300WBY accumark shooting 180gr TSX and a Zeiss 4.5x14x50 scope. I wish everyone here a very safe and sucsessfull hunting season. Joel.

I have a pack in Elk,Deer combo hunt planned for Sep.-15 in the Bob Marshall in Montana I hope to use what I have learned in the last year about long range shooting. 2 weeks ago I went to a game ranch to try long range shooting under some sort of field condition shooting off of a bipod I was able to take a goat at 514 yards with one shot. Hopefully I will be able to take a trophy on my hunt in the 500 to 600 yard range my outfitter told me that he has seen some 30" class muledeer in his area that hang out on on a speciefic ridge that requires shooting 5 to 6 hundered yards I will be useing a 300 win with a 3.5X15 Nightforce with the NP-R2 reticle and 180 grain bullets.

matt
i am not from nebraska i just hunt there in the south west corner in frontier county. I am from Michigan and guide in Illinois. where are you in nebraska?

Wow, nothing nearly as enticing as what some of you are doing. However it is fun as hell and does fill up the freezer pretty fast.

My friend has a pretty decent place loaded with quality deer and tons of hogs. Since I got my best whitetail ever there I told them I would just post hog patrol for a couple of years to allow another one I have my eye on to mature properly.

As far as ranges on them go, well it can be as close as powder burning the hair on their noses, or as far as I can luck out and hit them running across the 800+ acres of cotton field. Also, I can sit atop of the levee and reach out past 600 - 800 yds easily in several other areas. So at least I will be getting in some decnet needed practice in a month or so.

My long range hunting involves shooting across a creek bottom in Cherokee Co. on a pipeline. It is pretty much the farthest shot I can take on my lease from one of my stands. I have no idea how far if is across, but on target, my bullet drop is about 6 or 7 inches. My 300 SAUM Model 7 is sighted in about 275 yds or so. I actually don't know what range it is sighted in at, but out to 300 yds I just pull the trigger and stuff dies. The ranges I have to shoot at, I do not have to worry about too much. The wind drift across the bottom ends up being about 7 inches as well, only because the ravine is soo deep that the bullet goes over the tree line.

Maybe after graduation when I get my 270 AM or its 2nd generation equivalent I will visit the Northern extremities of this great continent.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.