300 R.UM Initial Firing.

Alberta Wexit

Purchased a Remington 700 SPS in 300 R.U.M a few months back. Started to do some load development and went to range today. Had previously purchased two box of Nosler brass only thing i could find also decided to purchase a box of ammo to get some comparisons and use brass after firing. Loaded ammo Nosler Trophy Grade 200 gr. Accubond. Loaded four rounds each of 200 Accubond in three different powders Retumbo, H1000 and RL33. First round fired was factory ammo extraction was fine look over casing. Longitudinal split in casing from approximately .400" above webbing. Bore and chamber cleaned prior to initial firing. Tried a second round factory every thing fine. Third round fine fourth round same split as first. Put away factory ammo. Chronographed on round 2967fps date from box states 2960 so close there. Did one three shot group with each powder and one round through chronograph to see what I could expect as a starting point. Retumbo best group H1000 fastest and RL 33 a bit of a disappointment. I need some help to as phots on this site. Not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Lots of peeople using RUM on this site.

Here are fired cases from Nosler factory ammo. Notice bright ring starting at webbing looks like start of case separation there as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4723.JPG
    IMG_4723.JPG
    904.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_4721.JPG
    IMG_4721.JPG
    866.5 KB · Views: 126
If yer not having any issues with the Retumbo, run with it. It's all I shoot out of two 300 RUMS with excellent accuracy. I save the H1000 for my 338 Edge...

Purchased a Remington 700 SPS in 300 R.U.M a few months back. Started to do some load development and went to range today. Had previously purchased two box of Nosler brass only thing i could find also decided to purchase a box of ammo to get some comparisons and use brass after firing. Loaded ammo Nosler Trophy Grade 200 gr. Accubond. Loaded four rounds each of 200 Accubond in three different powders Retumbo, H1000 and RL33. First round fired was factory ammo extraction was fine look over casing. Longitudinal split in casing from approximately .400" above webbing. Bore and chamber cleaned prior to initial firing. Tried a second round factory every thing fine. Third round fine fourth round same split as first. Put away factory ammo. Chronographed on round 2967fps date from box states 2960 so close there. Did one three shot group with each powder and one round through chronograph to see what I could expect as a starting point. Retumbo best group H1000 fastest and RL 33 a bit of a disappointment. I need some help to as phots on this site. Not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Lots of peeople using RUM on this site.
How much H 1000 do you use? I use Retumbo.

They should ask for the ammo back and send you new stuff. Had a batch of 460SW hornady ammo do the same thing, and it was due to improper heat treating causing hard cases. Those that you loaded are very conservative, I run 200's from my 300WM at a higher safe speed. That 300RUM should get you a fair bit more performance than you're seeing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.