How many reloads should a case handle

cbk57

image.jpg How many times should I be able to reload same brass.
I have H brass 300WM with case failure after 5-6 reloads.
No speed demon here, running at 2934 w/180TGK…tumble, anneal,
fl resize w/measured neck and trim every case every time.
Curious if this is normal brass life

have Hornady brass in many calibers including 300wm and 15+ reloads is common. the black soot and dent in body/ shoulder area suggests low pressure and the cracked suggests over sizing. adjust your sizing die to just bump the shoulder after the case is fully expanded to your chamber, don't use die directions just size enough to chamber easily no more. 2934 is low end depending on barrel lenght

I don't believe there is a count. When a case starts to show a bright ring or primer pockets get loose, I toss the batch. I have loaded some 30-378 rounds for a friend that were junk after one loading. I had some Winchester brass form the eighties that were reloaded 21 times. the primer pockets started to get loose, so they got tossed.

Like others have said it depend on the load and the quality of the brass. Looks like yours had a double spike as indicated by the collapsed shoulder.

View attachment 568245 How many times should I be able to reload same brass.
I have H brass 300WM with case failure after 5-6 reloads.
No speed demon here, running at 2934 w/180TGK…tumble, anneal,
fl resize w/measured neck and trim every case every time.
Curious if this is normal brass life
I can't comment on life but being a belted cartridge I would look at resizing and make sure that the shoulder is not being set back too much. If you are trimming after each resizing that is a good indication your are over sizing the brass.

I have some 338LM LAPUA brass with 12 loadings still going strong(no loose primer pockets,etc.).Using a fairly mild load of 88.5 grs. of H1000 behind Berger 300 gr. OTM's for 2735 fps,and annealing(AMP MK II)after every firing,full length resizing,keeping trimmed(when necessary)with a Henderson,etc.Not a barn burner load by any means but for what I do(only shooting paper and steel)it's fine and should also give me decent barrel life.Definitely my favorite cartridge to shoot(650 rounds down the tube so far)and as long as I do my part,3 shot groups hover around 3/8"-3/4" MOA.Since I only have about 1/2" MOA eyes anymore that's ok too.😆

Last edited: