Dry Firing?

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by driller, Dec 31, 2010.

1. driller

driller Member

So I am shotgun guy and was always taught not to dry fire any of my shotguns. But when reading some of the "basics" threads above it talks a great deal about dry firing to practice. I am understanding this correctly right? Dry firing will not damage the firing pin in my rifle, a savage model 12. Thanks

2. padd54

padd54 Well-Known Member

3. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

I have done it for years without any problems. I have had my Savage for over 10 years and have dry fired it thousands and thousands of times.

4. LewisH

LewisH Well-Known Member

Dry firing shotguns or rimfires without a snap-cap harms the firing pin.

Not so, the centerfire rifle. As a matter of fact, it's one of the time-tested recommended practice exercises.

5. gcamp54

gcamp54 Well-Known Member

I have been dry firing all my center fire rifles, automatic and bolt action, for the last 25 years. When I was a very active competitor I would dry fire the rifle I shot in competition at least 200 times per week and sometimes much more. Firing pins do break but I never had that happen to me. Just my experience.

Gordon

6. billm67

billm67 Well-Known Member

Most modern centerfire rifles shouldn't have a problem with Dry Firing. Rimfires will punch the edge of the chamber on the barrel and eventually push the metal in to the point where the rifle won't chamber a round.