Dry Firing?

driller

So I am shotgun guy and was always taught not to dry fire any of my shotguns. But when reading some of the "basics" threads above it talks a great deal about dry firing to practice. I am understanding this correctly right? Dry firing will not damage the firing pin in my rifle, a savage model 12. Thanks

I have done it for years without any problems. I have had my Savage for over 10 years and have dry fired it thousands and thousands of times.

Dry firing shotguns or rimfires without a snap-cap harms the firing pin.

Not so, the centerfire rifle. As a matter of fact, it's one of the time-tested recommended practice exercises.

I have been dry firing all my center fire rifles, automatic and bolt action, for the last 25 years. When I was a very active competitor I would dry fire the rifle I shot in competition at least 200 times per week and sometimes much more. Firing pins do break but I never had that happen to me. Just my experience.

Gordon

Most modern centerfire rifles shouldn't have a problem with Dry Firing. Rimfires will punch the edge of the chamber on the barrel and eventually push the metal in to the point where the rifle won't chamber a round.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts