Brass scratch problem. šŸŽ¶

That is how I have always done it with my RCBS and Lyman dies with out issues. This is my first Forester seating die and they must use a softer metal or hardening process. Not putting them down in anyway as I really like their micrometer dies.
Use a Lyman expander die. No lube round neck. Deburr, size,done! I think they call them a "M" die.

Polish the sizing BUTTON!
I run ALL new brass into a neck die, then chamfer the necks.
Your brass shows that it is being scratched due to no lube and no polish on the sizing button.
Your sizing button should look like these.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_2718.jpeg
    IMG_2718.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2719.jpeg
    IMG_2719.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2720.jpeg
    IMG_2720.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 34
Let me guess...ADG Brass?

ADG is TERRIBLE for case mouth prep. The worst case mouths I have ever seen. Huge burrs inside and out. That is probably a big culprit.

Runa the expander ball in it only, not all the way up into the neck sizing portion of the die, then chamfer/deburr. Or better yet, and expanding mandrel to set your exact desired tension.

Currently, my process is going like this: I spray Frankford Arsenal lube on the case bodies only (no spray on neck and shoulder). Then I dip the neck into the dry graphite powder and then I full length size with expander ball removed. Not too messy but does get a wipe down on the outside. Graphite powder stays on the inside of neck for mandrel neck sizing and ultimate bullet seating.

Here is an easy case neck lube trick
you will need..
a medium size plastic empty Sierra or Speer bullet box.
a couple ounces of #9 shot or ball bearings that size or smaller
A 1 oz tube of graphite lock lube.

If you haven't figured out where this is going,, dump in the shot, dump in the graphite close box give it a shake...
when your ready to size, just dip your case into the shot and Viola! its lubed!

Thanks guysšŸ‘. I'm going to look into the mandrel! quiettexan would you recommend the LE Wilson for 7 PRC, 300 WM, 6 CM and others? Can't believe I have not heard of or used a mandrel before.

Yes, I have their 'new' mandrels in all the major calibers. They works great to iron out any dings in case necks. The main thing about LE Wilson is they sell one size per caliber, designed to be used on new brass, and don't offer multiple mandrel diameters.

To avoid being fan-boy-ish šŸ¤£ I also have complete "caliber sets" of mandrels from 21st Century that range from ~-0.004" to +0.002" in 0.0005" increments for upsizing after a bushing die, but the LE Wilson set I keep separate and only use for new cases. Expanding mandrels from several companies that make neck turning equipment can also work, but usually need to size down afterwards. Multiple good options out there, but LE Wilson is the easy button for new brass without having to go down the rabbit hole of choosing sizes and so on.

Recent Posts