Dry Fireing your gun??

Sako7STW

I am looking at getting serious into some long range hunting and shooting and am going to start spending some serious time and some money to do it. One thing I have read on your sticky's is to develop better triggering is to do dry firing. Can this damage my gun? Should I put a spent cartridge in the gun to give the pin something to hit? Thanks

A spent cartrige is a good idea for prolonged periods of dry fireing. A way better option is a cartrige specific ''snap-cap''. I sometimes practice shooting wile I have my dad load my rifle for me mehind my back. Sometimes hell slip in an empty to see if I flinch. I HATE that, but its Great practice!
I dont get to shoot with dad too often anymore, and its hard to find a buddy you trust to load your rifle behind your back. It just goes against everything in me not to load my own, but with dad loading, Im still able to comfortably shoot.

I wouldn't dry fire. I have used snap-caps but the more I think about Roys idea the better I like it. Thanks roy.

Thanks for the replies guys! I like Roy's idea and i am sure I can come up with something pretty easy that way.

When I first got my gun and started shooting it, it kicked the crud out of me with my handloads (Max loads) and I started a flinch. I have done some stock work and had a KDF brake installed and it is tame now. I find I occasionally still flinch and sometimes really bad on the first few shots at the range till I can relax. This practice will be good for me and I am going to do a rig for my son and his gun and get him started out right. His stupid real Dad took him out and let him shoot his 12 Ga.. After that, It took us 2 years to get him to shoot my wifes 25-06! He is now almost 13, so i have my work cut out for me!!

Sako7STW, 12 gauge+young kid+first time shooting= not always a good idea. Sounds like your approaching it right with the young fella, easing him back into it and if and when he catches the bug for it you will have something really good to build a relationship with...you two can be shooting buddies and more. Being a step parent has it's challenges just treat him like your own.

Great idea Moman!! That's what I am going to do!

Chas1, yah, your right. Being a step parent is the biggest challenge I have ever had. Dealing with the X is another. The man has no morals and deffinitly has no hunting etiquet and that doesnt help. I figure to lead by example and teach him right and he will decide from there. We took him out last year and he got his first 3 point Muley! Nice one too so he has the bug now. I got so excited I was beside myself. Probably made him more nervous than helped LOL.

Sako7STW, Let your boy know that I said Congratulations and great shooting. I'm sure others will want to congratulate the young fella too. Take Care.

Last edited:
LOL, it was a crazy hunt. we had only a few days to hunt and mainly I just wanted him to get some blood and and have fun. We didnt have the time to hunt for a big boy and it was a new area for me to hunt so that didnt help get us into a trophy either. We hunted a few days and we got into a forked horn but to no avail.

Finally a friend of mine said he wanted to go with us and would show me a few spots where he has went in the past. We get up on a ridge and it is my buddy, my son, my wife and myself. We are all glassing over a big basin when my wife and buddy at the same time yell "there is a buck".
I lost my mind as I got so excited, my friend told me to let him help him shoot it so I could watch and film (I was also going to be the backup shot if need be, yes I had a license as well). so My son gets down on the ground and he was pulling his shots bad. I think the big man upstairs had full intentions of my son getting this deer, either that or this buck was mentally retarded. He shot at the buck 4 times and hit him 3 of the four. The buck never moved more than about 5 feet. it was weird. Well he finally went down on the forth shot, after my son had to make a mad dash back to the truck for more bullets as he was empty. Yep I am telling you, this deer was of a special variety. Anyways he goes down and we cant see him moving.

This is where it gets really good. We take the truck down to where the deer is to get him dressed out. Well we get down there and the deer is laying there with its head up like he was just calm and relaxed. So I turn around and am headed back to the truck to get a gun to finish him off when my friend says to hand him a knife and he will slit it's throat. HAHAHA Yah he gets up to the deer and grabs it buy its horns. I had given him one of my VERY sharp knives. Well when that deer see's that knife, he jumps for the sky. At the same time my friend slits the throat. Well the deer up and double barrels my buddy in the chest with his 2 hind feet. my friend goes flying as the deer gets one more kick in and hits him in the arm. The deer runs off about 20 yards and down he goes. I dont think I laughed that hard in my life. We found a bullet hole in the deers back that we think had the deer paralyzed temporarily or something.

So yah, what a crazy hunt for a kids first hunt. Overall it went well but he did see that he does need to work on his shooting so thats good to.

That is a crazy story but a good one and successful no less. Again, congratulations to your son.

Having tried the knife tecnique before( grandpa had this thing about ''wasting bullets'') HE ALSO HAD THIS THING FOR MAKING SURE THE FIRST SHOT COUNTED, and maybe this was his, and dads idea of teaching me a lesson. I can tell you first hand that deer hoofs and horns can be most lethal! Now I cant tell you for sure, but I think dad and grandpa just wanted a good laugh, but Dang that hurt! Anyhow, from that day on I just use my side arm IF a critter needs finnishing. Afterall thats what its for. The tangled up struggle of hoofs horns and flailing body parts, with a sharp knife in hand is something I dont care to repeat. If camcorders wouldve been present Im sure Id be a millionaire from Americas Funniest Home Videos. Even my best wrecks tapes of my cousin and I on the N.P.R.A. Rodeo Circut werent as painfull! And belive me neither of us should be able to function still in anything other than a ''vegitable'' state from those adventures.:D

+1 with winmag. Anyone that approaches a wild animal no matter what state they're in (unless dead) with a knife to finish them off is asking for it. And the it could be a nasty surprise. Bullets are cheap...I say shoot em.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.