Initial setup for handloading

Goodgrouper,

Dont do it, stick with your redding bushing dies. The problems one of my buddies had with Lee collet dies in 6.5x55 caused him to pull his hair out. Stuck cases,poor extraction,big velocity spreads and dreadfull accuracy, All sorts of different techniques were tried to cure these problems, like, light pressure or heavy on the die and polishing down the mandrel, none of it made any difference and at one stage he thought there was a fault with his rifle. A change to Redding dies cured his problems instantly and now has a fine shooting rifle.

Centre Punch.

Center Punch, I am really surprised that sizing down the neck with a collet could be so disastrous but the same amount of sizing using a bushing would lead to awesome shooting.

Neither die would change the dimensions of the case. Only the necks are squeezed to within a thou of each other (maybe even the same diameter, thus the same neck tension).

Very interesting...

Jerry

Jerry,
Lets say this was a bit of a black area, had we persevered with the collet die we would have eventually got some good results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, but as i said my buddy was tearing his hair out and pacing up and down behind the firing points like a demented lion in a cage, when the suggestion was made to try some different dies he duely purchased a set from the onsite gunshop (Redding standard dies) and "Hey Presto" problem sorted.
My buddys rifle now behaved like it should do, he was happy and it was all left at that. No indepth analysis was made of the problem as to the "whys and hows" this happened, so nothing was ever found out.
A firm dislike of Lee equipment has since then existed,(breaking two Lee presses did'nt help, my buddys a big guy), myself as a qualified master machinist and toolmaker, look at it from quality point of view.

Centre Punch.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.