270 Win questions

cva 54 - you are right on the money! What did we do before all these super duper supercharged calibers came out? We hunted with the 30-06 and the 270 and the 308 and the 303 etc and countless hundreds of thousands of animals fell to these rifles. We also hunted properley back then and knew how to shoot. The advent of modern (magnum) rifles and premium bullets means you can now shoot from further away (more chance of wounding) and take risky shots which in my mind is not ethical! I have heard stories of bullets travelling the full length of the animal and the hunter proudly showing the mushroomed bullet (if I want mushrooms I go to the store or pick 'em in the forest) to all his mates - in my opinion that is a poor shot and the animal could easily have been gut shot and run off to die somwhere and never found! KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid! I will add that these rifles are really good and in the right hands are simply devastating but.....DO NOT PUT THE TRIED AND TESTED AWAY! It is not the rifle but the driver that makes the mistakes. I hunt with my .270 for all my big game and it is more than enough gun. I also only hunt with standard bullets - after all these bullets were designed to kill medium to large game and they do it well. Sierra bullets are the bomb and I hope we can continue to afford them here in South Africa with the exchange rate and inflation. Keep trucking!!!

both very good calibers!

I have used a 270 win model 70 featherweight for almost 18 years on whitetail and elk. recently I have been using it at long range. I use the 140 accubond for the best bc velocity combo. I have taken several whitetail between 500 and 600 yards. longest being 625. When the shot was placed correctly they all went down with one shot. I have also used a 7mm wsm recently, it is very close to 7 rem mag velocities. Works everybit as well as the 270 but with more recoil. I would say with all confidence that the 270 is easily good to 600-700 yards with the 140 accubond with a muzzle velocity anywhere over 2950. The 7 mag will reach further with a 160 accubond at similar velocity but with more recoil. and less magazine capacity. One reason I have stayed with the 270 is I can put 5 rounds in my magazine and one in the chamber. try that with any magnum. and if you really want to complicate things consider a 280 ackley. 270 recoil with ballistics of a 7 mag. just something to chew on. my next custom will be in a 280 ackley I think this cartridge is the ultimate deer gun. But to answer your initial ? 270 win is easily good inside 700 yards with the rite bullet and shooter behind the gun. My 12 year old nephew just used mine to take his first buck at 560 yards! one shot dead in his bed. I am sure you can see that I am a very proud uncle!

Well I got my new used rifle a rem 700 SPS stainless in camo plastik stock that part I want to change got it in 7mm rem mag. Sighted it in 5 shots A sub moa rifle I am vary happy. that makes two 700's a 7.62X63 and 7mm. A story here I went to the gun shop to get a 7mm in stainless conposet cold weather rifle I found a weatherby vangaurd so I got it cant go wrong with a weatherby right? I went to the range My BB gun can do a better group! went back and did a store trade I am now vary happy. But the price of rounds WOW gess what I just got a reloaden press a rock chucker kit havent loaded any thing yet still readen. In hind sight and for all who care just my thoughts here 7mm great long range but a light bullet (wind drift) 7.63 that is were my hart is 338 lupa or 300 rem ultra mag now there is recoil. can we say grizz

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.