270 Win load question

deergrower

What would be a good choice of bullet for a 270 for hunting coyotes and such without blowing a great big hole in them?

Deergrower,

This can be tricky and most shooters go teh wrong direction and try to drive very light bullets extremely fast hoping to keep the bullet in the yote which with any 270 bullet is nearly impossible to do.

The best thing I have ever seen for using deer calibers on yotes and still leaving the pelts intack was to use a controled expansion bullet what one would use for big game hunting.

Simply using a 140-150 gr bullet loaded to 2800 fps will do less pelt damage then a ligher bullet.

You will get exit wounds, no way around that, but the heavy big game bullets will expand very little and generally produce smaller exit wounds.

Whatever you do stay away from the tipped bullets as they will skin the dog for you.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty,

Do they make .277" FMJs anymore. If so, That would probably be the ticket to saving hides. A FMJ to the vitals should put a yote down pretty quick.

Reloader

Been shootin yotes for years with the 270. For a long time used the Sierra 90 gr hp @ 3400 fps. The further away the smaller the hole. Over 250 yds or so hole was the size of a quarter.

A lot of my yote hunting is w/in 1/2 mile this limits my 270 shooting to one direction. Thus I carry a 222 alot. Just use the 270 for long range. A good controlled expansion bullet leaves a small hole even at close ranges (J36, Partition, interlock etc) but keep on going.

Have switched to Nosler 130 ballistic tips. We'll see how they do in a couple of weeks....

The 140 gr Hornady SPBT does a good job w/small exit one time and leaves 'em in 2 pieces the next.

You may try loading them down quite a bit, say 2500 fps if range is short.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.