270 Win questions

timl

I'm sure most people don't consider the 270 Win. a long range cartridge, but for those of you who are using it--

How far have you used it on deer?

What bullet are you using?

Thanks.

Hi Timl.

Y have taken close shoot only up now. That beacause my hunt are in heavy wood. But the 270 still got power to clean kill a moose at 400yds. Know some good shooter that take shot on deer at 500yds. That depend a lot on your skill
and the quality of your weapon. For the bullet the 150gr nosler partition is my choose. Y hunt moose to so like havy bullet. But for deer only or over 200yds for bot (moose and deer) y will go for 140gr in accubond or balistic tip.
You just got to see what go best in your rifle.
Good hunting with your 270win.

Hi Timl
I made the same question some days ago. About how far can I accurately shoot with my 270 win?
Have been recommended to shoot Berger VLD 150 grain to get better ballistic coeficient, and be able to shoot farther out.
Have you done upgrades to your 270 win?
There arent almost any threads about long range hunting with 270 win.
Good luck hunting with your 270 win. I love mine.:D

I shot feral goats out to 550 yards with mine, 130gr ballistic tip at 3184FPS.

It worked well, 140 or 150gr bullet would be a better choice though

I'm sure most people don't consider the 270 Win. a long range cartridge, but for those of you who are using it--

How far have you used it on deer?

What bullet are you using?

Thanks.
I have one and have used it for about 18 years in Wyoming. however i did change barrels over time i know have a 26" sheilan
i use 140 gr ballistic tips shouts around 3005 ft per second. I have killed mule deer as far as 550 yards one shot drop them dead in their tracks. however you still need to make the shot placement. far as the gun is concern it will kill deer out to 700-800 yards but the question is can you place the bullet wear it needs to be?
i go with 4 buddies and my guns nick name is the meat gun. and it has earned that name. fine a load that your gun likes then practice at the yardages that you want to shoot. alot

It is a great caliber. I use shoot a .270WSM and it will roll anything short of a big bear. Your rifle can too as long as like anyone we keep an eye on the energy level at impact.

I have been wondering the same 270win or 7mm rem mag I now shoot .06 with 150 factroy ammo still working on it (accurtizing it) going to get new one and cant make up my mind HELP:rolleyes:

I have been shooting a M70 in .270Win for four years I have used 130gr Nosler AB's and Barnes TTSX's I shot a deer with the TTSX's this year at 300yrd's complete pass through. I wood say for the 130gr bullets max range is probably around 700yrd's for "deer".

the reason I ask about the 7mm rem mag is my buddy got 1 a 700 rem and says it is the best Ive watched him hit plates out at 360Y ran out of room yes the bullistics are great but I done all my hunting in MN so far now it is my time kids are grown up well still got my son he hunts with me to it is time for him to move out of MY mod 94 I like to push to the limits I am perty shure I can hit a 5" out at 300Y my dad taught me vary well he would have me sight in his rifles wish he still had his mouser typo doing the best i can on spelling it burned up in his house o by the way do U think the action woukd be any good to build a rifle out of it

With a 130 Nosler ballistic tip or Sierra game king pushed by 60 grs. H-4831 in a Rem case lit by a CCI-BR2 doing 3150 fps from my Rem. 700 24" barrel with a 3 inch high zero at 100 yards I am right on the money at 300 yards and 8 1/2 inches low at 400 yards. Out to 350 yards I hold in the center of a deers front shoulder and squeeze the trigger. Most of the time the deer is killed in it's tracks.

If you just plan on hunting deer and shooting them out to 400yrd's or more then I would by the .270. But if you are going to hunt Elk the 7mm will kill them farther out. The .270 has less recoil.

270 is a nice calibre. I have used it for 4 years now. I have taken 2 bears and lots of deer. I have never not had a complete pass through. This year I took two white tailed does a muley buck and a large black nbear all were drt. I shoot factory ammo . The remington ammo shoot really well out of my gun. If I had the choice though I would buy a 7mm for the increased power and bc.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.