270 Win questions

The 270 is certainly a fine deer cartridge and you could easily take deer out to 400yds with it.

I'd opt for a 7mm Rem mag due to the larger bullet, more powder capacity and more bullet choices available to the hand loader.

I like my 7mm Sendero quite a bit, but but it's not my go-to gun. I'm still working up loads for it. I'm always trying something new.

CVA54,

If you want to build a rifle off of the 98 Mauser that was burned in the fire, you neeed to have it checked by a gunsmith that can check the hardness of the reciever most of the time if a rifle has been in a fire, it is ruined because of temper taken out of the steel by the heat of the fire. You have to have it checked and you need to be truthful with the 'smith. If you build it with out it being checked, you run the risk of a seriously bad accident.

Dan

In my other post I was speaking of the 270 Win. I too agree that if I were just going after deer I would go with the 270 Win over the 7mm mag. If great big deer and elk are on your agenda then yes the 7mm mag would be better. I really got flamed once for making this statement but this has been mine and my buddies experience with the 7mm mag on average 90 to 200 pound white tail dear. The 7mm mag is too much gun. Yes it kills deer but they want to run off between 50 & 100 yards before they drop for some reason. I am talking about a lot of deer being shot with one not just 5 or 10. We control hunted a big farm where we had to take 100 deer a year, my buddy for 20 years and I helped him for 13 years. We shot deer with about every factory caliber and a few wildcats from 6mm through 45 cal in a 45-70. The 270 Win. with 130 gr Sierra or Nosler ballistic tips really killed deer in their tracks. With the assorted 140's and 150's they also want to run off a ways before they went down. It really comes down to bullet construction and velocity being right. We found that a bullet that is lightly constructed and will start expanding the moment it hits hide and even fully expands and comes apart but will reach the off side of a deer kills like lightening has struck. With bullets that hold together and expand slowly and will come out the other side often deer want to run off a ways before they go down. There are exceptions to this of corse. The Nosler partitions seem to kill very well because the front part of the bullet expands quickly and most of the time fragments but the rear half keeps on trucking. Over all we found Sierra and Nosler ballistic tips to work in the medium to light weight in most calibers to get-er-done. We both have settled on the 25-06 with Sierra 117 gr bullets at 3000 or so fps for our go to deer killing, drop them on the spot rifles. The 308 to 30-06 with 125 Nosler ballistic tips at 2850 to 3100 fps really drops deer also. Have fun and put the bullet where it is suppose to go and it will be meat on the table even if you have to track it down. I personally like to find then where I shot them.

ben thinking about it why not stay with .06 got great balistics up about 300Y ammo is in every ones basment , gas sataiton and small town store and if you want to blow throught the brush just load in a 185 gr but I use 150 thinking might go to 165 like I said going to get a rifle for me or my son

140 G accubond at 400+ dropped a doe dead, like a rock. didn't have the exact range, just stepped it out. I knew it was a 400 yard shot and my rifle was sighted in for 200 yards so I aimed 12" high and she went down. Did the same for a buck the same year at 300 but I misjudged the distance and took out both his front legs and the bullet just grazed along the bottom of his chest, I felt like a douche. I put him out of his misery asap.

I shoot a 270 win and load a 110gr v max. It works great on everything that i have hunted with it. I have Killed Hogs, Coyote, bobcat, deer, geese, fox, and many other animals with my 270 and it works great. I have taken coyote out to 550 yrds and dropped them in their tracks. I am not sure why it is not considered and good long range round. but i am new to this so thats not saying much.

If I were going to go with a lighter bullet it and longer yardage it would a 270 win or 7mm rem mag. Seeing I already got the .06 going to finish off accurizing it and run with it. Next rifle hu savage or rem? 270 win or 7mm rem mag ? Time will tell! Why not be done with it and get all 8.

I hunt whitetail with a 270 Winchester. I'm currently using a 140 gr Nosler AccuBond bullet. This was my first high powered rifle and I purchased it specifically for deer, I have added a number of center fire rifles to my collection not due to any particular reason other than I like guns, although I use different game for an excuse.

If I were to own only 1 rifle I would purchase a 30.06, that's what I bought for both my sons and I've now added to my collection. I believe these type questions were easier to answer before the bullet selection for most popular calibers became so wide. The 270 is essentially a necked down 30.06 so it shoots flatter. Instead of purchasing a 7 mag I went with a 300 Win mag.

My suggestion would be to compare the balistics for both and make your decision based on which round will deliver the best performance for your hunting conditions and what other rifles you own and compare them all.

I bought my 1st 270Win in 1981. I have always shot the Sierra 130gr SBT in my rifles. Thinking about giving the new plastic tip bullets a try.

My first 270Win was a M700 BDL, completely stock. I shot 55.9grs of IMR4350, Sierra 130gr SBT, CCI 200, RP brass. MV was 3000fps

My second 270Win was a M70 FW, completely stock, it shot very poorly. It had a beautiful stock on it, a buddy wanted it, so down the road it went.

My third 270Win is a Tikka T3 Lite, completely stock and it shoots like a $4,000 custom rifle. I shoot 59.0grs of H4831, Sierra SBT, CCI 200, RP brass, MV is 2940fps.

Most of my shots on mule deer have been 200yds or less.

However this past year I took a 2x4 mulie down at 386yds. All I saw after the shot was legs and antlers flying thru the scope as it tumbled 125 yds or so down the steep hill side he was once standing upon. I did not bother to reload the rifle. Just stood up, folded the legs of the bypod up, loaded my pack, and hiked cross-hill to retrieve my buck.

Exbal shows that my load drops below 1000 ft/lbs at 600 yds with rifle. Therefore I would limit this rifle to that distance. I am paranoid that the bullet will not expand properly at lower energy levels. I could be full of bad pizza, but it keeps my little brain happy.

I have come full circle on my .270.

It is a fun caliber for me that works, and I like having fun.

I plan on running turrets again this year on my .270 and feel quite confident running to 750.

Not at BC king, but I can't argue with how well it kills for me.

Longest kill was 535 with 140 BT's

i shoot a fair few sika with the 270 using 110gr v max had a hind and a calf at 345yds this week ,heads explode with them .
very popular cal in ireland .
mine is a custom sako 75 mc millan ,walther match barrel .

Sierra 135 Matchkings high SD high BC kills kudu out to 400m. Where you hit them is almost always where you find them. We have forgotten just how potent the "older" calibers are! Too many drop charts, equations and other numbers have caused us to doubt!! Stick to the basics and you will get your deer every time.

dave that is kind of funny. in the past month I have ben rethinking it all. No to the 7mm rem mag and stay with the old trusty 30.06. Then I see your post the old the basics. I would bet the .06 has droped more big game and 2 leggers than any other cal. out there well maby the 30.30 can beat it

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts