284 Win Questions

1st thing I would do is get my hands on a Win 284 dummy cartridge loaded to 2.97" OAL and figure out the magazine thing. Solve that problem and the rest will be easy.

1st thing I would do is get my hands on a Win 284 dummy cartridge loaded to 2.97" OAL and figure out the magazine thing. Solve that problem and the rest will be easy.
I think he said he will use a Tikka action for the build.
I posted a picture of a long action Tikka magazine with a loaded 284 round with 180 hybrid sitting inside with a COAL of 3.285".
He will have room if he uses the Tikka "L" magazine.

My bad, I thought he was trying to use Accuracy International 308 mags and assumed they would be different then Tikka mags.

RidgeIRebel,

just went check my 7 SAUM today before leaving for a hunting trip.
Ran a dry patch to remove oil from storage before shooting.
I brought 5 bullets for a group.
High left was the first shot.
This was 168 ABLR loaded 2.815" OAL for short action so they have to jump a long way but still hit the mark.

So… just saying that the 7 SAUM can run in a short action if you must.
The 284 would do better in a long action with the extra overall length required for longer bullets.
Both are good choices!

Good luck

Attachments

• 22276768-F895-48DF-A24E-3009061D95E5.jpeg
    22276768-F895-48DF-A24E-3009061D95E5.jpeg
    643 KB · Views: 21
My bad, I thought he was trying to use Accuracy International 308 mags and assumed they would be different then Tikka mags.
Sorry… you are right!
I was thinking he was going to try to use Tikka SA mag.
My apologies!

Last edited:
Use the Mag Pull P-mag AI clones for hunting. I've had AI mags rust and the polymer mags are quiet. You won't have mag lip issues. The case isn't fat enough on a 284 win to cause problems.

Recent Posts