284 Win

It took hundreds of rounds of different powder bullets etc to finally find something that would shoot acceptable groups. It's a 9 twist so wanted to shoot 180s like from my Bartlein 284. Wouldn't group them well. Finally the only thing that shot decent was 140 accubonds w N150 traveling kinda slow at 2850 fps. It's fine now but it just didn't work up nearly as well as my Bartlien or my Rock Creek barrels. Dunno why and not sure if common. Wanted to flute it too but Shillen said they do not allow their barrels to be fluted or warrantee void. Never heard of that.

Wanted to flute it too but Shillen said they do not allow their barrels to be fluted or warrantee void. Never heard of that.
Common with barrel makers. Some will flute barrels they make. None will guarantee barrels someone else fluted. Not done correctly, fluting can and will effect accuracy potential. Safety might be another concern. Barrel wall thickness sould be NO thinner than .150". They can't stand responsible for someone elses work. Common knowledge in the 'gunmakers/builders' world.

gunner I hope that was just an isolated incident with Shilen and that I don't run into same issue with them. I am going to try the combo of R17 and 162 A-max. See how it shoots

I thought I'd add a few anecdotes on the 284 win. I have been shooting one since the mid 80s. Have had as many as three at one time.

You asked about barrel length. My sporter weight rifles used 22 or 24" barrels. Have taken five elk, at least a dozen coues wt and many javelina, coyotes and jack rabbits over the years.

Regarding bullets for hunting: unless you are ordering a faster twist barrel the best bullets are 140- 168. I have used the 140, 150 and 160 partition for elk. Have used so many mid weight bullets I have a hard time remembering. 140 sierra gameking, 120, 140 and 150 nosler ballistic tip, 100, 120 X bullets, and more recently the 168 berger hunting VLD. I also used the 120 Nosler ballistic tip which deserves special mention, it is stout and has been used by many hunters. Read this thread with Gun Writer Steve Timm's comments:

Steve Dogzapper Question on 120 BT | Ask The Gunwriters | 24hourcampfire

Brass: IMO Win brass, if you can find it, requires skim turning the necks for more consistent neck tension and resultant bullet release. Get a reamer with a slightly tighter neck dimension to help extend brass life. I am using a .315 neck. I bought 800 pieces back when Win announced they would be discontinuing production. Later on they came out and said they would do yearly runs.

If I were to begin now I would buy 6.5-284 Lapua brass and neck it up. The reamer would be a no turn neck as Lapua cases are very consistent in neck wall thickness.

IMO either way you really should consider the reamer's dimensions and including the throat distance and angle. Talk with your gunsmith about the dimensions of the reamer he will use or buy your own.

As for powder: if RL-17 doesn't work H4350 is an excellent powder. It fits well and is an extreme powder.

Finally: Look into extending the length of your magazine box. If you cannot buy a longer mag box a good gunsmith can lengthen your existing box. My gunsmith has done this with several of my rifles. I had him lengthen my SA Ruger tang safety box to 3.1" for a useable OAL of 3.050".

I wish you the best with your new project. Think you will enjoy this cartridge that was conceived in 1963 and was way ahead of its time. The 284 and its offspring, the 6.5-284 and 6mm-284 have proven over time to be exceptional performers.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.