22 LR Ammo

I agree we are paying more than we should and I refused to pay for two years. After two years off from shooting and I will not take three as the gouging has no end in sight. We are flat being ripped off. I have contributed to the rip off by buying primers, powder, bullets, rimfire ammo, the last few months. When something costs 4x what it did two years ago I wont forget who gouged us. No question there are higher costs involved.....not 4x! That being said I paid 120 for 1500 plinking 22's last week. This is the cheap bulk ammo used to be 550 boxes not match ammo.
Like you I will remember, but sadly they're all involved.
I used to buy Nosler bullets and some Sierra but since they've gotten to the price of custom bullets most I get for my rifles now are Hammer bullets and I don't know if I'll go back to the others later or not. Hornady is having some good pricing on bullets today and have been for a while, my only problem is that I've never found a load that shot good with them. I'm sure it's the powder choices I use on the other 2 bullets I've been using but who know. If I was just shooting under 150 yds it wouldn't matter but the past few years I have to have something that can hold a pattern out to at least 500 yds. I haven't bought a brick of 22's since they've gotten up to $15-20.00 and when I bought it I was so dang mad at myself for doing so that I swore I would not buy anymore until they returned to somewhat normal pricing. From the looks of it I will NEVER buy anymore 22LR bullets and I better make the 3 or 4 bricks I have now last until I take a dirt nap.

Two words: bottled water.

In most places, the water is safe to drink and **** near free, yet people buy bottled water and turn around and bitch about the cost of fuel, coffee, you name it. Interest rates too high? Don't borrow money!

I guess I'm not one to complain about such things. If prices are too high, just move on to something else.

A friend of mine is a financial guy that tells me young couples struggle not having disposable income until they do monthly budget analysis. Very common for $150/month/individual for specialty drinks. Buy one in morning, one at lunch and cha ching! So $300/month for what? Even once identified, really difficult to stop the behavior.

And we think we have problems with components! Their prices go up and no problem!

The bottled spring water from the Aldi's is a case of 24-1/2 Liter ea. for like $3.69. For 15 cents a bottle, that's pretty cheap luxury, even if ur just baling hay. Ya got good CCI 22LR for what 7-10 cents a round, that ain't too much of a tariff, to keep a shooter out of the game.

Last edited:
ALWAYS,..
Put, a Drinking Water filter on, your sink,..
Make your Own,.. Coffee
Know ALL, the Prices when, Food shopping to, Shop,.. WISELY
Pop your Own,.. popcorn,.. AND,..
You will ALWAYS HAVE,.. Money for,.. plenty of, Reloading Components and .22 Ammo !
NEVER Pay too much and NEVER, ever, get in a Hurry to Buy, "chit" ! ( Keeping up with, the Jones'es,.. CAN,.. WAIT !!! )
USE Patience as, the Recession is, coming SOON with, LOWER Prices and, an abundance of, chit,. ARE all,.. just, ahead

Last edited:
Once, the Store shelves have "Inventory", AGAIN,.. THEN,.. the Sales !
Walmart IS, starting to, Stock .22 LR Ammo, some Bullets and even, a Little Gun Powder from, Time to Time !
Patience !

Only buy good stuff and the best stuff, Don't settle for cheap stuff. No decent bird dog should be made to settle for Ol Roy's dog food, no matter how much the walmarts has on the shelf.Their ammo is good to go, for the most part.

A friend of mine is a financial guy that tells me young couples struggle not having disposable income until they do monthly budget analysis. Very common for $150/month/individual for specialty drinks. Buy one in morning, one at lunch and cha ching! So $300/month for what? Even once identified, really difficult to stop the behavior.

And we think we have problems with components! Their prices go up and no problem!
That's true I know a few that do it, but they don't complain about the price either, maybe they get a discount, but there's no way I'd spend that kind of money on coffee. But back to the thread here it's a shame we're not all on the same page, if we were maybe that would make a difference.

Yeah sorry about hijack! Getting back to .22, I just see price dropping all that much because I think there is a realization they can get it. Can't be reloaded so captive audience.

While I agree there are always people who will take advantage of any situ, as a business operator, I do have to wade in concerning inflation. The past couple of years have brought us inflation in most everything, and it isn't just materials used in production of products. Labor shortages and costs, business insurance, medical insurance, taxes, various gov reg mandates, increased infection control procedures due to Covid, electric, nat gas, raw material shortages and costs, etc, etc have all increased thus causing finished products/services to explode in price.

The same has and is happening for the end product retailer, so then they attach their cost increases to pass along to the consumer. These past couple of years have been rather tough on many businesses and families, and while the price increases of some items may begin to slow, stabilize or even drop slightly, some things may not. We live in a finite world with finite resources, and as more and more people chase those resources and goods with more and more dollars (FRNs), prices go up.

My previous business required 12 varied insurance policies to operate - 12! And I am sure no one here would care to pay the monthly electric and nat gas bill it required, especially during this past winter. Think 5 figures a month.

Last edited:
While I agree there are always people who will take advantage of any situ, as a business operator, I do have to wade in concerning inflation. The past couple of years have brought us inflation in most everything, and it isn't just materials used in production of products. Labor shortages and costs, business insurance, medical insurance, taxes, various gov reg mandates, increased infection control procedures due to Covid, electric, nat gas, raw material shortages and costs, etc, etc have all increased thus causing finished products/services to explode in price.

The same has and is happening for the end product retailer, so then they attach their cost increases to pass along to the consumer. These past couple of years have been rather tough on many businesses and families, and while the price increases of some items may begin to slow, stabilize or even drop slightly, some things may not. We live in a finite world with finite resources, and as more and more people chase those resources and goods with more and more dollars (FRNs), prices go up.

My previous business required 12 varied insurance policies to operate - 12! And I am sure no one here would care to pay the monthly electric and nat gas bill it required, especially during this past winter. Think 5 figures a month.
Yep 100% true!! These 22LR's aren't going back to $1.29 a box, no matter how well a guy can remember those days. The CCI 100 packs are a bargain at $10 bucks a 100, in today's world.

Yep 100% true!! These 22LR's aren't going back to $1.29 a box, no matter how well a guy can remember those days. The CCI 100 packs are a bargain at $10 bucks a 100, in today's world.
As a kid, I remember buying 22 shorts for 50 cents a box from the Western Auto and dollar store, but we all know those days are never coming back. Just like the price of that 1970 Chevy truck.

$75/brick for match ammo like SK is cheap. I mostly shoot Center X, which is a mid range match ammo that runs about $140/brick. High end match ammo, like X-Act, is twice that.

Walmart hasn't had good prices on any ammo since they updated their prices about a year ago.

Cheaper Than Dirt, where you're seeing Thunderbolts for $140/brick, is well known for price gouging.

If you're trying to save a few bucks use Ammoseek and buy it online. There's plenty out there in the 5-7cpr range.