Ammo storage

These keep your rifles from dings in the safe. Found them at Sportsman's Whse. They fit over a large scope and rifle easily. We store ammo in a shelved cabinet, not much humidity here in Az and room is air conditioned.

Attachments

• CEC4151F-5447-4E88-95E7-02D3D54A834E.jpeg
    CEC4151F-5447-4E88-95E7-02D3D54A834E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
I'm trying to make more room in my gun safe. Half of my safe is rifles. The other half is purely ammo storage. My concern is how to store my ammo without compromising the quality. I have it currently stored in my safe with a dehumidifier rod. All the ammo has been kept in pristine condition this way. What is the best way to clear out the safe and still keep the powder dry?? I'm starting to buy higher quality guns and scopes. I don't want to scratch them all to hell, by cramming them together to get the door to close... 😂 Thanks-Aaron
You might consider buying a used heavy duty industrial cabinet......Lyon, Dayton, etc......to be only an ammo cabinet. Put another dehumidifier in the cabinet. Can put hasp locks on the cabinet........probably as secure as your safe in reality. Locks keep the honest, kids, and terminally stupid out. Also, one might buy an used low cost safe to be an ammo cabinet. Either route would be a rather cost effective option.

Indiana is humid in the summer and winter, very wet in the spring. Fall is the best time of the year...lol
I believe you will be fine as long as it's stored in a temperature/humidity controlled environment, i.e. an air conditioned/heated house. I have shotgun ammo that I reloaded in the mid 1990's that still looks and sounds like the day I loaded it, and I have metallic cartridges in the house that are from the late 1970's that are just as accurate as when they were loaded. Just had them in the house, nothing special.

I believe you will be fine as long as it's stored in a temperature/humidity controlled environment, i.e. an air conditioned/heated house. I have shotgun ammo that I reloaded in the mid 1990's that still looks and sounds like the day I loaded it, and I have metallic cartridges in the house that are from the late 1970's that are just as accurate as when they were loaded. Just had them in the house, nothing special.
Yes. I recently shot some house-kept 12 gauge shells dated 1974 & they shot fine.

I store my ammo in a construction tool vault in my garage here in California. It is secure, safe from the elements and accessable.
I have a similar super heavy duty box built to hold chains and chain boomers for strapping down dozers being transported. It's made of 5/16s deck plate. I keep ammo and powder in it under lock and key.

I promise, nobody is going to pick it up and run away with it HA!.

I thought I had a lot of ammo 😲
The first three shelves are pistol reloads, top - 9mm & 38 Sp, middle - 45 ACP, third - Factory 9, 38Sp, 40S&W and 45ACP. The bottom shelf has some 12ga and 20ga, .223, 22LR and ammo cans of 40S&W.

Another cabinet has the rifle, .308, .223, 30/06, 40 S&W, 39SP WC, and 12ga slugs and shot.