Ammo storage

SpeedymanWCC

I'm trying to make more room in my gun safe. Half of my safe is rifles. The other half is purely ammo storage. My concern is how to store my ammo without compromising the quality. I have it currently stored in my safe with a dehumidifier rod. All the ammo has been kept in pristine condition this way. What is the best way to clear out the safe and still keep the powder dry?? I'm starting to buy higher quality guns and scopes. I don't want to scratch them all to hell, by cramming them together to get the door to close... 😂 Thanks-Aaron

I'm trying to make more room in my gun safe. Half of my safe is rifles. The other half is purely ammo storage. My concern is how to store my ammo without compromising the quality. I have it currently stored in my safe with a dehumidifier rod. All the ammo has been kept in pristine condition this way. What is the best way to clear out the safe and still keep the powder dry?? I'm starting to buy higher quality guns and scopes. I don't want to scratch them all to hell, by cramming them together to get the door to close... 😂 Thanks-Aaron
I don't recall Indiana being all that humid, but I could be wrong. Either way, some mil-surp ammo cans with desiccant in it should work fine, and you can store it on a floor or low shelf in a closet. I do this and have no issues here in the Dallas area. I don't store a ton, but do have some waterfowl shells and .223 in cans and it has held up just fine.

There are some folks that also believe you should not store powder/primers (or ammo) in a safe because of the pressure that could build up in the event of a fire, ultimately causing a large boom. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but something to consider when determining your overall storage solution.

I don't recall Indiana being all that humid, but I could be wrong. Either way, some mil-surp ammo cans with desiccant in it should work fine, and you can store it on a floor or low shelf in a closet. I do this and have no issues here in the Dallas area. I don't store a ton, but do have some waterfowl shells and .223 in cans and it has held up just fine.
Indiana is humid in the summer and winter, very wet in the spring. Fall is the best time of the year...lol

Indiana is humid in the summer and winter, very wet in the spring. Fall is the best time of the year...lol
I was born there but convinced the parents to move to Texas when I was 3. ;)

Memories I have are from a few Christmas visits mostly until high school, and only one or two summers in early days. It's been almost 20 years since my last visit I think…wow time flies!

Not much humidity here, bulk ammo goes into military surplus containers along with a few of those desiccant packs for long time storage, hunting ammunition, primers and powder go in a wood cabinet with the same type of packs for quick access, everything is stored in the garage on the north side of the house so temperatures stay relatively constant through seasonal changes. I have powder that is at least 15 years old but if you open the container, still smells fresh. Why do I have powder that old?, tried it and didn't like it or moved on to something different . There was a time when reloading components were cheap

Get a bigger safe or 2nd safe.

Humidity isn't an issue for me but if it were I'd keep it in cool, dry storage with humidity controls in place, a gun safe is a very good way of accomplishing that.

Don't worry to much about the ammo. Over time as short as a few days, the interaction of dissimilar metals (brass and copper) starts to "bind" the bullet to the case. If you are serious about getting the best out of your ammo, load it all .1" long, and when needed, reseat the projectile to the correct depth. (If you crimp your bullets, , well, never mind...)

Cool location with dessicants. Buy a cheaper storage safe just for ammo. Tape up the holes & change, replace or recharge dessicants monthly. You can even lay it down & use it as a locker instead of an upright safe. I'm just saying....

I store my ammo in a construction tool vault in my garage here in California. It is secure, safe from the elements and accessable.