Leupold LR

AndrewD2007

Does anyone have experience with the Leupold LR scopes with the 30mm tube in 4.5x14 or 6.5x20? I was wondering what everyone thought about it. Is it really worth the price? Maybe suggestion on other products.

My Dad and I bought a pair of them (6.5-20 x 50 LR) last winter. Early this Spring, Dad's had something go wrong internally. At 200 yards, a 3MOA adjustment moved POI exactly 3"! This was very clear and repeatable.

He sent it to Leupold. After waiting 3-4 weeks it came back with paperwork implying that nothing was wrong with it. However, after mounting it and test firing it, it worked fine under the same circumstances. When he called Leupold to inquire what they had fixed the response was, "Just take it and shoot it. Let us know if something is wrong." Very poor customer service.

After about 20 rounds on his 6.5WM Sendero, it screwed up again. This time when making a vertical adjustment, the entire erector assembly was screwing out of the scope! That was the last straw with him and fortunately the Gander Mountain where we bought them gave him a refund. Up to this point, my scope had worked flawlessly. Dad now has a Nightforce.

Within a couple days, my scope had the exact same problem with the erector assembly backing out of the scope when making vertical adjustments. Gander Mountain refused to give me a refund until I had sent it back to Leupold at least once (fair enough). I called and talked to the manager of technical services and gave it to him with both barrels. To be fair they did respond quickly. They sent me a UPS shipper and had the scope back in my hands with a test target in about 5 business days. That was about three weeks ago and the scope is still working fine.

Take that for what it's worth........

The vari x 3 LR, 6.5-20x50, 30mm tube, SF, fine duplex that I have on my 7 RM is holding up just fine...It will dial up and down all day long and come back to its zero..Good scopes for the money, but there is better, like Nightforce or IOR..A little to rich for my blood...

My dad has one and since we owned it everything has been holding up fine. I think its a good product for the money. Is there some kind of budget your trying to go buy as far as a scope goes?

[ QUOTE ]
My dad has one and since we owned it everything has been holding up fine. I think its a good product for the money. Is there some kind of budget your trying to go buy as far as a scope goes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well after 7mm story, i dont know if i really feel confident going with a Leupold LR. Is there any other scopes that can be recommend and no i really dont have much of a budget im just looking for quality. Thanks

Night Force is at the top of the heap, you would never be dissapointed in one. If you have any questions on them shoot me a email sometime or call 1-800-522-3314

thanks
steve

[ QUOTE ]
Night Force is at the top of the heap, you would never be dissapointed in one. If you have any questions on them shoot me a email sometime or call 1-800-522-3314

thanks

steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm nightforce i've never heard about that brand, are they new or just a unknown brand?

AlexBaldwin07,

I don't know how long they have been out for, but I'll tell you this, it sure is one of the most reliable scopes on the market. I'm saving my pennies for one of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/

[ QUOTE ]
AlexBaldwin07,

I don't know how long they have been out for, but I'll tell you this, it sure is one of the most reliable scopes on the market. I'm saving my pennies for one of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

They look like awesome optics, what kind of price range are nightforce in?

IMHO Nightforces scopes are an exceptional buy. US Optics or a S&B PMll will cost twice as much as a Nightforce. The only real competition at Nightforce's price range is the IOR's.I have the Nightforce NXS models and have been very pleased,they are both rugged and precise.The NXS series are designed to withstand 1,200 G's both negative and positive.....Great scopes...........
thumb.gif

They have been out for a while and they are amazing. Used by the military and law enforcement as well as the BR community. They make two different lines and the NXS is the line you want. If you ever want some info about them call 1-800-522-3314 and ask for Steve or BJ

take it easy
steve

They are $1300-1500 and you might find one a couple hundred cheaper. It's a bunch of money to pay for a scope but if you bought one two years ago you would make money selling it used now. I never thought I would like an illum recticle but they are nice and the switch is incorporated in the parallax adjustment turrent. Sadly enough I didn't even realize that until I bought the first one.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.