1410 yard cow elk

Goodgrouper
Well if I am not mistaken, that is the longest shot at a elk and harvested. Kirby owes you a t-shirt and Sierra owes you a case of match kings. Pictures are worth a 1000 words. Phone books or elk are close to the same. Almost apple to apples, but one is esaier to clean and haul out. I keep telling you gotta love those Broom tails (horses). I won't hunt without them. One thing you did say RHB had his camera, hmmmmm, there is a video section on here! Grit horse a little tired, lead rope was tight or maybe tired of scrub oak. Anyway I enjoyed it and I have emailed the story thoughout the western states. Thanks for sharing your success and encourage us folk who are shooter challenged. IP

Yep. This was my longest kill on a head of big game thus far. Hard to believe I whacked a rockchuck 600+ yards farther!! That was with a Sierra too so I believe they owe me two cases of bullets!!

Phonebook tests work. I know it, I've proved it, and you too. But they aren't a whole lot easier to haul around!

I could have kissed those broom tails. They were great.

As you can see from the pics, yes, there was a camera set up but it was my old camera and it just doesn't show much because the elk were so far away. But the elk are there and you can see the vapor trails of the bullets. I just wish we would have used RHB's.

GG,

When you write up a hunt, your descriptions are so vivid and full of detail that it makes one almost feel like they are with you. And your photos are so great that it really makes me hesitant to even post any when I attempt to do a write up. It's real treat to relive them with you. Thanks a lot. Great shots, great story, and superb pics. RHB's camera is something special.

Super reporting on "in-field" terminal performance of your chosen projectile. Thanks again.......

Jim

Thank you very much Jim for your kind words. Very nice of you indeed.

As far as being a great spotter , Not True, Groupers being kind because I froze my but off for six hours in the dark !!! LOL !!

I also wanted to mention that GGs Dad has an unbelievable motor, ( he can run up and down those Mountains all day long. Literally ) it's always fun to have him along !! Especially on these tough hunts LOL!!

That was One Tough Cow for sure !!! Can't believe she was standing after any one of those shots??? ----RHB

Thanks RHB. You are too modest. You're an excellent spotter and you know just what to look for. And you call out the corrections just like a well-oiled, two man sniping team!
You know in military circles that they say the spotter is more responsible for the kill than the shooter don't you?

And yes, my dad has one hell of a motor. He'll probably out-live me! I've seen him get back from a regular marathon and go cut his lawn afterwords! Last year, he had to carry a collapsed, BYU co-ed the last five miles of the Squaw Peak 50 mile mountain run and she was half his age!!!

Look at the amazing similarities of these two bullets.

Bullet from phonebook test. This bullet impacted at 1889 fps and caused big rips all the way through the paper.
smkat12inches.jpg

And bullet from 1410 yard elk. This bullet impacted at 1624 fps and also caused big tears where it stopped.
recoveredbulletfrom1410cowelk.jpg

So it was like I said all along. If it will open up in the phonebooks, it will open up on game. Especially if it hits two shoulders.

Last edited:
That 300 SMK sent from 1410 yards away made it through both shoulders and almost out. In my opinion it did its job. :cool: Not to hijack your thread but for comparison, here is mine from this year shoulder shot 6x6 bull @ 526 yards.

Thanks for posting the bullet pics.

DSC00685Medium.jpg

GG,

WOW 1410 yards......... Good shooting and congrats on an eventful hunt.

Couple of observations from your photos..........

The pictured bullet out of the elk has significant more frontal damage (probably from the hydraulic effect and bone impacts) and mushrooming than the paper tested version. The elk bullet looks to be at least two bullet diameters worth of expansion and the paper tested bullet at only about 1.5 bullet diameters without good frontal expansion while appearing to be lopped over to one side.

Based on the initial stated velocity and the distance to your kill, was not the elk impact at a lesser velocity than the impact on the paper during your tests? Based on your starting velocity your elk impact should have been right at 1375 fps.

But, if my memory serves me correct, the paper tested bullet impacted at roughly 600 fps faster speed than the hit on the elk and yet it still yielded much less bullet damage in your picture as compared to your elk bullet?

The elk bullet actually looks like the model of expansion one wishes to get upon impact.

Again, congratulations and good shooting.

I really envy you guys being able to shoot those sighter shots before the kill shot.

Great story.

LV

Congratulations on a great shot and a story remembered for life. It is always good to share these events with friends and family (especially after the kill)!!!

There are likely some readers that are wondering why you 2 just didn't pull that elk out of that stuck spot (where you left it for the night), but there are for sure some of us that know!!!!

Great teamwork!!!

Awesome story. Awesome hunt. And incredible shooting skills you have. Great team work.
I guess I just have to keep on dreaming with a hunt like that one. Keep on reading to learn from you guys, and keep on shooting to try someday a shoot like this.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

And thank you for the teaching you just did with this story!!!:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.