Zero stop vs zero set?

asg1485

Can someone explain the pros and cons please. Scope will be used for long range and will have custom turrets added.

If i am correct. Set u crank the windage up and down by rotating through the clicks and can SET once zeroed?

Stop u can dial up to 600 as an example and simpley lift the turret and it resets to zero???

Am i correct here?

Only negatives of the set would be time consuming?

I don't know if you are correct or not.

What I do know is that without a zero stop I screw up every time. I've been exactly 1 rotation off, high, more times than I like to remember. Each time it was in public, during matches, and more than a little embarrassing. :roll eyes:

If the scope does not have a zero stop it gets mounted such that "zero" is no more than 1/2 turret rotation from the bottom.

Complexifiers are competition stress or it's evil cousin hair in the cross hairs. At least for me.

Are you comparing specific scopes like a NF NXS with zero stop and a NF SHV with zero set? Most manufactures "zero stops" ( or whatever you want to call them) all work a little differently but the idea is the same, you can't rotate the turret down past a designated stop that you set. Zero stop on a NF you still have to rotate the turret down to hit your stopping point ( say a 200 yard zero) it doesn't reset automatically. Same with Zero set on a SHV, it just is a less complex system that basically bottoms the turret out so that it can't keep rotating down.

Zero stop is more expensive but is more precise. Zero set your still never going to get off a full rotation so it works just fine it just might be a click off if you bottom the turret out in the dark by feel rather then visually verifying the turret position. I'm not sure if this answers your question or not. I think you can find videos of pretty much all the manufacturers systems online.

A zero set allows you to reset your turret to zero without rotating moa. Once your sighted in you adjust your turret back to zero so you start from zero when dialing.

A zero stop stops you from dialing past zero after you dialed up to whatever moa. This is very helpful if you dial more than one full rotation of the turret.

Think that's what yor asking about?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.