Zeiss S3 6-36x56

softtail103

Just got to look through the S3 line. ED glass, not Schott glass like the S5. Not as expensive as the S5 either. FFP on 36 power was a narrow eye box. Looked out to 930 yards with no issues at all. Heavy scope at 39 ounces. It was pointed out that the high mountain hunters have taken a liking to them for the spotting scope aspect that they are getting from it. Lose the weight of a small spotting scope and a tripod for a 10-15 ounces gain in scope. Illuminated reticle was usable in daylight. 34mm tube. Another A+ scope from Zeiss. Is anyone else using a high power rifle scope in place of a spotting scope? One of these guys was running a SFP Mark5 7-35x56 on a folding short barrel rifle. He said the same about it doubling as his spotting scope.

I do. Sold my Swaro 80mm spotter aboit 4 years ago after I realized I was not using it much do to using my x5 5x25x56 to spot with. I'm able to count points and size up deer to as far as I would shoot one so it works for me. Its a 2lb scope but its super convenient.
Only thing I miss is the phone scope photos and vids with the spotter but my hunting buds have theirs most of the time.