Zeiss Diavari V 6-24x56T*?

I have had the chance to look through one mounted on a sako 270 wsm but not really used it. Nice and clear optics, nice but somehow big turrets; if I recall correctly parallax adjustmnent started at some 20-30 m up to infinity.I think it allows for 1/20 mil adjustment per click, at least in the elevation turret.

But the bigest drawback i see, at least for my taste, is that it has a 2nd focal plane reticle. If you want a mil dot reticle it is because you plan to use it for ranging or holdover/under without cliking on the turrets; and for this it makes sense to be able to use the reticle at any magnification without the need to make different calculations, as would happen in a 2nd plane reticle, depending on the power factor you are using.

Since it is not a cheap scope, I´d take a serious look at the S & B PM II line. Swarovsky also makes a 6-24, but that is with the TDS reticle ( which I am not a fan of) and besides, don´t know if it is in FFP or 2 FP-

Illumination...... do you really think you´ll use that a lot ???

Thank you for the comment älg. (doesn't älg stand for elk in swedish..?)
I use laser to measure ranges so the 2nd image plane reticle will not pose a problem. I've tried a few Zeiss -scopes and I'm very impressed on their low light capabilities, this is the main reason why I fancy about this one.
I have shot most of my game in poor light conditions with illuminated reticle. The device comes in handy for example when shooting a dark silhouette of an animal with snow behind it in low light conditions. Fine crosshair's are easily lost in the shadows and illumination makes it much easier to place she shot precisely.

Yeah, kind of elk.... moose would be the right term .First word that came to mind when registering in the forum.

Your lit reticle needs are now better understood.

Now if you use a laser range finder.....and if (it seems) you are not planning to use the dots for holdover/windage estimation.. why do you want a mil dot ret.?

Let us know what you decide in the future.

The reason for mildot reticle is that in future I might use the same scope also in sniper contests and the use of laser is mostly forbidden in the rules. In those contests the quick firing rhythm to different distances also requires shooting with dots.. So, at this point the mildot reticle would be more or less "just in case". After all, there is no disadvantages in using it for LRH.

So älg, you are from Sweden then..?

No, I just visit the country every once in a while for a short summer vacation.

IN any case I´ve ben commenting with some friends about the possibility to pay Finland a hunting visit in (hopefully) a near future.

regarding the mildot, bear in mind ( when you attend those tact. competitions) that the holdover is not going to be the same in all power factors.

All in all I think it is a great scope too.

Wellcome to Finland then.. Altough LRH possibilities aren´t that great in here generally.

I've ordered the scope, it should arrive in few days. Looking forward to test it..

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.