Zeiss Conquest Turrets

Walker1

I have a Savage in a 7mmRemMag that I want to be able to shoot out to 800yrds or maybe a little more. Right now I have a Zeiss Conquest in 4.5-14x44 with the Reticle #8. Was thinking of putting target turrets on it. Would this be a scope to start with or should I get something else? Who should I get the turrets from? This is my hunting rifle and everything that I have ever harvested has been within 500yrds. I want to be able to atleast target shoot with this to the said distance for now and if I get confident enough try it at hunting.

That would be a perfect scope to use.
I have one in 4.5-14x50 with target turrets and it is a very nice unit.

If my Dad at age 67 could hit antelope at 512 and 816 yards with a 3-9 Nikon this past year I suspect you'll do fine with 4.5-14. :D

I think Zeiss will retrofit a Conquest with a turret. Here is a picture of a turret Zeiss put on a Diavari

ZEISSTURRET.jpg

Once you get the turret retrofited by Zeiss you can buy an aftermarket turret from Kenton or someone else that is cailbrated to your load

Cost was $75.00

Does that mean that Zeiss does not calibrate the turret to my load? What is involved in calibrating? What do I have to do on my end?

Zeiss will put on a generic turret with marks that do not have a relationship to your load. Then you get an aftermarket turret from Kenton or others that you have had them engrave to your needs. I think you give them your ballistics and type of scope and they work it out.

But you have to have Zeiss retrofit your scope to accept the turret first. Some scopes you can just buy the turret but with Zeiss you have to get the retrofit first if you have the "Hunter" turrets on your Zeiss scope and do not presently have a "Target" turret.

That is my understanding

Picture Gallery

No

The only return to zero with an internal stop where you can not lose your zero that I have is a couple of Kahles MultiZeros

No

The only return to zero with an internal stop where you can not lose your zero that I have is a couple of Kahles MultiZeros

Woods, I assume that ther is a hash that references where your at on the turret....it looks like one full revolution is 17moa of adjustment, and I assume once you are sighted in you can zero the turret? And if you spin the dial past a full revolution is there any indication that your past a full revolution or do younhave to remember where you are at?

Thanks for the answers, I am excited about buying one, just wanted to fully know everything about it first.

Thanks

The turret is easy to unscrew the screw in the middle, raise up and set it back down on the zero. IIRC (I don't have the scope, was someone else's and I just did the grunt work) there was a reference in the manual that talked about seeing which horizontal mark on the turret the bottom of the turret was on and with revolution the turret would go up and down, thus changing where the bottom of the turret was that you could gauge by looking at the horizontal mark.

I always thought that it would be neat to get an appropriate manufactured washer to put under the turret to keep it from going too far past the zero, but that would be tricky. Would have to have very fine thicknesses of washers with the proper size hole in the middle. Thought about making one out of aluminum and putting it under the turret. It would not stop the turret exactly on zero but would let you rotate the turret down until the washer stopped it and you would know where you were. If you were less than a full rotation down past the zero then you would know to go back to the zero.

The MultiZeros are the best with the absolute resettable zero stop. Others have zero stops but I don't know how they work. Always irked me not many are putting them on their turret scopes. One of the main reasons I don't own many.

OK I have my scope packaged up to ship to Zeiss. I should be able to order the Turret from Kenton and have it here for when my scope comes back correct? Should I get a target turret for both elevation and windage? In order for the Kenton Turret to work correctly do I need to have the scope at a certain power?

I think you can get stickers from Zeiss to put your own marks on them. Zeiss will also custom engrave the turret once you know what you want.

Zeiss does not engrave their own turrets. They have been referring all the work over to Kenton Industries. I have a Zeiss 6.5-20 X 50 and it is the best scope I have owned in terms of ruggedness and optical quality. I think swarovski is the best in terms of optics, but they are behind the curve when it comes to target knobs and LR applications. gun)

The conquest are 18MOA per turn BTW. A simple fine crosshair reticle is best when using a custom turret. Just Range the target, dial the knob, center the crosshairs, relax, and squeeze. As long as the crosshair is centered on target power setting does not matter for the most part.

Elevation Knobs are nice to have if you are planning to do Long Range shooting in windy conditions. Over 400-500 yards in a stiff breeze can move you 2-3MOA which is a foot or so left or right.

10th

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.