Yugoslavian M48 Mauser Gunsmiths ?

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge,experience, or gunsmithing techniques/methods for the yugoslavian m48 mauser ?

Regards,
375rifleman

My local smith seems to do them. I don't think is's practical to send it to California.

I know that Lassen Gunsmith School covers it. I have 2 Mausers for this purpose.

It will be a long wait for me to get admitted, complete the schooling and move to Missouri or Kansas so I can work on your gun.

It's early morning here, I'm being silly serious.

It's a 'safety breeched' Mauser '98. The model 24/47 is a better choice where the bottom metal is milled instead of sheet metal, and better quality all round. Both the 48 and the 24/47 are 'intermediate' length. Don't know what else I can say about them, except using a military Mauser action usually ends up being more expensive than just buying a new Rem. 700 action off of GunBroker.

Basically I plan on building/making/or assembling a stripper clip fed scout gun and my first thoughts to what I could start with went to the Mauser action. After all look at its influence on the bolt action rifles of today. I know that the Lee Enfield, Mosin Nagant, and the Japanese Arisaka (based on the Mauser) are all also stripper Clip fed but I thought a Mauser would still be a better base to start with. Unless another controlled round feed rifle CZ rifle like the CZ 550 or a Winchester Model 70 could be modified to be stripper clip fed as more modern metallurgy could handle higher pressures than what was produced many years ago. What does everyone think ?

Regards,
375rifleman

You can try your idea without gunsmithing. Get one of these and attach it to the rear sight base of a 98 Mauser. It may not be what you want to end up with, but it could be a proof-of-concept prototype.

Mauser-K98-or-Turkish-VZ-24-Scout-Scope-Mount-PICATINNY-WEAVER-Free-Shipping.jpg

You may have better luck finding someone to work on a Mauser at Accurate Reloading or of course Mauser Central.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts