Youth rifle 243 or 300blk?

Would you buy a custom stock to get your boy shooting a 243 or 300blk?
Looking to buy a Boyd's At One adjustable stock to put on a rifle for my son to use until he moves up. I have a Ruger American Ranch 300blk with Muzzle Brake and Rem Model 7 243 that will both be his someday but the adjustment on the Boyd's stock would get him from 12&1/2" LOP to 14" LOP. Both are factory stock rifles currently with typical not compact stocks.
Ruger and Remington youth stocks are hard to come by and for the price may want Boyd's anyways. So if I am going to spend the money, 243 or 300blk to start on coyotes to whitetails in Missouri?
Thanks in advance
for me the 300 blackout gets the Eastwood Grand Torino growl

The weight was one of my worries checking the gun shows is a good idea. I can't find many youth stock options for the Ruger or the Model 7 easily. I feel like I used to see them all the time, now they are tough to locate.
I picked up a stock from stocky's for my model 7 for youth use. Its got a 12' LOP, should do well for you.

I have never had a 110 Tac-Tx drop a deer DRT from my 8.3" blackout (2132fps) but they all have ran less than 30 yds when shot in the heart and lungs and all have had beautiful blood trails. I really want to try Maker Subsonics but rifle season is so short here that I don't want to have the wrong tool if a monster comes out at longer range.

Update: got a Ruger youth stock from a member here and mags on the way from MGW. Action screws were too long from the AR Mag configuration to the traditional. One call Ruger Customer Service, advised of my plan and the correct action screws are in the mail at no charge. Top notch customer service! I see another a Ruger in my future, or maybe a Marlin now that it's in the family…

Update:
Before
D491232A-ECFC-4122-BCE3-9E6C4208EDD3.jpeg

Would you buy a custom stock to get your boy shooting a 243 or 300blk?
Looking to buy a Boyd's At One adjustable stock to put on a rifle for my son to use until he moves up. I have a Ruger American Ranch 300blk with Muzzle Brake and Rem Model 7 243 that will both be his someday but the adjustment on the Boyd's stock would get him from 12&1/2" LOP to 14" LOP. Both are factory stock rifles currently with typical not compact stocks.
Ruger and Remington youth stocks are hard to come by and for the price may want Boyd's anyways. So if I am going to spend the money, 243 or 300blk to start on coyotes to whitetails in Missouri?
Thanks in advance
The .243 will give the kid far more versatility.

Pick a wood stock.

Remove the butt plate.

Drill dowel holes from the rear forward 6-8" deep.

Take gun and kid to a good gunsmith/stock smith, measure and cut.

Put a new pad on and go.

Save cut off portion. When kids is ready for a full sized stock go back to GS/SS and have the part removed put back in. Just a little sanding and securing with glued dowels and the kid is fixed for a lifetime of shooting.

Last edited: