Your Personal RESULTS with custom long range HUNTING rifles built buy a PROFESSIONAL?

Because of the extreme cost for a custom. I can buy five or more Savage rifles if I have to for the cost of one custom. I have no doubt I wont need more than 1.
Let them scoff…I have customs and Coopers (post#147)
But also 6 various Savages and after some glass bedding and trigger tuning …with handloads each one shoots almost as well as the high dollar quality guns…hard to clean barrels and funky actions these "entry level" guns have amazed me with their accuracy…too many 1/2 moa groups to scoff at…but they all have "special needs" to get em there.

Nothing wrong with the factory guns, with some work they can be pretty accurate. The majority of my guns are factory guns, but the OP wanted to know about custom guns and builders, not factory guns.
Well if that's the case… Nothing wrong with correcting a fellow forum poster for an off topic comment, but the OP wanted know about custom guns, not thread adherence infractions.

I am having an old Winchester Model 70 Varmint rebuilt by a guy in Nevada who looks like he does good work. Involves stock refinishing. Here's what was hiding under the urethane finish; it will be oil finished. True the action, Brux 8 twist, .223 Wylde. Tract Toric 2.5-15x44 FFP MRAD SCHOTT glass. Warne rings and bases.

1702144598987.png

Nice collection, But I see you haven't really found a scope that you swear by!
Nope not yet. Bushnell elite tactical have been really good they are just heavy. I have to send a March optic back as the parallax went down in it. The S&b has been holding up so far. Will more than likely end up with swfa to start on our match guns until we can upgrade.

I am having an old Winchester Model 70 Varmint rebuilt by a guy in Nevada who looks like he does good work. Involves stock refinishing. Here's what was hiding under the urethane finish; it will be oil finished. True the action, Brux 8 twist, .223 Wylde. Tract Toric 2.5-15x44 FFP MRAD SCHOTT glass. Warne rings and bases.

View attachment 519289
That will be a purdy gun!!!!

I've been buying rifles built by Travis at RBROS for 15 years now.
I've shot the crap out of them. Because they are accurate, repeatable and consistent.
A few have had barrels changed because they get worn out from shooting so much.
The list of rifles I have from him over the years:
284 Thor (gen1) 7mm/338 nmi
243 AI on its 3rd barrel
7saum
300 Rogue- 30/338 Lapua imp
375 RUM
7RBH (gen2) 7mm/338 nmi
300 RBH 300 NMI
338 RBH 338 NMI
375 RBH 375/338nmi
What grain bullet and what speed are you getting out of the .284's?

What grain bullet and what speed are you getting out of the .284's?
I settled at 3250 for the 195's in my rifle. It'll push them to 3350 at the top end but the rifle becomes very susceptible to shooter influenced inputs. AKA not easy to shoot in hunting scenarios.

7saum gets 3030 fps with the 175 elites

I settled at 3250 for the 195's in my rifle. It'll push them to 3350 at the top end but the rifle becomes very susceptible to shooter influenced inputs. AKA not easy to shoot in hunting scenarios.

That is some serious energy and speed way out there for a .284.
Wow

Over the years I've run the gamut from straight factory rifles, to factory rebarrels, to semi custom to a brand new full custom. My inventory is currently six bolt action centerfires hunting rifles. Three of them are 1/4 - 1/2 MOA rifles and three are 1/2 - 1 MOA. I've not been lucky enough to find a straight factory rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA out of the box, but I haven't tried any Tikkas or newer Savages. I just received my first full custom (which was a retirement gift I bought for myself). It a 7 PRC Maverick model (Defiance Anti X action) with a few upgrades from Alamo Precision Rifle. Uprades: TT Diamond trigger, ARCA & pic rails, Hawkins Hunter DBM.

It's only been to the range once for a barrel break-in session (yes, I'm one of the old guys guys that still does barrel break-ins :rolleyes:). I used some very quickly assembled ammo (H1000, 175 gr ABLR, ADG brass). I shot eight 3-shot groups, plus a fouler after each barrel cleaning.

Six groups were 1/4 to 1/2 MOA. Four of those groups were 1/4 or 3/8 MOA. Two of the groups were over 1/2 MOA at 5/8 & 3/4 MOA. To say I'm excited would be a big understatement. I'm convinced with careful hand loading and some load development I can consistently shoot it 1/4 MOA or better. So, I suppose my learning from the last 25 years of rifle buying & shooting is to decide what accuracy / precision you need and buy the best your budget will allow. I would have saved a lot of money and aggravation if I had skipped the factory & most of the semi-custom rifles. If you can afford to go full custom, find a reputable shop that is easy to communicate with and spec out your dream gun. There are lots of great shops referenced on LRH. Apparently, I failed to learn the advice early in my journey to "Buy once, cry once."

But, this is just my experience. I know there are some great factory guns being produced now. (Not sure if this is considered a true factory gun, but I've seen a couple Seekins rifles at the range that shoot "lights out!") Good luck on your journey!

APR 7PRC 1.jpg
APR 7PRC 2.jpg

I would like to hear only firsthand accuracy results from people who have had a long-range hunting rifle/scope system built buy a professional gunsmith/company. Secondly, have you had them develop a round and bought ammunition from them and was it truly consistently accurate, and the tracking was good as adjustments were made for various yardage (400 - 800)? The focus is on repeatable, accurate built rifles and ammunition, and we'll see if there is a common denominator! NOT interested in this post discussing ethics/calibers, etc. If you would recommend family to use this builder, I would appreciate you sharing the specifics on your triedd and true rifle.
You owe it to yourself to check out Wolf Precision, Jamie Dodson. [email protected] His guns are second to none. You will not be disappointed.The rifle in my contact is a 6.5 creed that he built for me and it shoots under 1/2' MOA

Attachments

• IMG_1082.jpeg
    IMG_1082.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 20

I push the 195's at 3203 avg. It's a laser. Started shooting the 195's in a Saum now and finding I can push them 2,860 or so in it. Starting to like it.

But to the subject. I've had them all and have. Customs, prefits, and some I chambered and built. 4 customs. The GAP shoots better than all of my customs. The ones I chambered have shot with or out shoot them, the only two prefits I have out shoots all of them lol. Go figure.

Last edited: