Your opinions on 7STW Scope

Nvhunter

What issues would you consider important when choosing a power range, rectile and scope objective diameter? I am setting up a factory Sako 75 7MM STW. I do not know if parrallax would become a problem if a large objective is used.

My brand of choice is Leupold. I know there are advantages to other scopes, but am very happy the product for the price of Leupold.

Initial use will be Mule deer hunting in the high mountains. I do not expect to attempt shots in excess of 400 yds. The shot (most likely) will be at dusk or dawn in potentialy low light - dependent upon weather and terrain.

I hope to draw an Antelope tag in the next year or two. The 7STW will be my rifle of choice for that hunt.

Thanks for your opinion.

That Leupold VX-3 is what I placed on my 30.06 last year. It has the Boone & Crockett rectile - for the 30.06, I couldn't be happier. I performed some low light range tests comparing the older VX-II with a 50mm objective. The new glass in the VX-3 scope had noticeable improved light gathering abilities when compared to the older, larger objective Leupold.

For the 7STW I am thinking of a fine crosshair, but do not want the crosshair to break while shooting that cannon - recoil.

Long distance shots will require a non cluttered and fine wire crosshair.

I was impressed with the light gathering abilities of the VX-3 40mm Objective. It left me wondering what would a larger objective could gain...and what would the drawbacks be.

Hi,

I also recently had a 7STW built on a Sako action,with a Hart barrel.I too have been trying to decide on a scope to use.I finally decided on a Leupold VX3 8.5-25x50 with fine duplex reticle.I do not plan on using this for anything longer than 5-600 yards this year,but figured might as well get the higher magnification for the future when(hopefully)I will feel comfortable shooting to further distances.

I have Shepherds P1A's on both of my STW's and haven't had a place to test them past 700 meters but the circles are right on out to there and they gather light pretty darn good...............just my two cents worth

Never had any problems with my 4.5x14x40mm Leupolds. I had a Sako 75 7mm STW & wish I never sold it. I'd personally steer clear of a brake though. The firsy time you shoot on a cutline with no plugs you'll regret it. I did.

If you are set on a Leupold then check out the VX7. 30mm tube and 45mm objective gives you noticeably better clarity and contrast over the VX3. Also comes with a balistic plex for your specific caliber as well as express service ( as in go to the FRONT of the line should you ever need repair ) and a loaner scope if repair will take more than two to three days. They are on sale right now at WHOLESALE SPORTS (?) formerly SPORTSMANS WAREHOUSE for just over a grand. Having said that, I X2 the SHEPHERD scope. Looked through one today and that is now my choice over the VX7. Try to take a look through one if you can. (and five hundred dollars cheaper doesn't make me yelp any ) I actually think the scope to have better optics than the Leupold. Good luck.

It really just comes down to what is your application with the setup. Are you going to use it for Tactical, Bench-Rest, Hunting, and How far are you going to shot it. Why it would be nice to know the caliber is so you can get a scope that will last or not be overkill.

Mike @ CSGW

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.