need your opinions on binoculars

pressman

now that i have upgraded my scopes on my rifles i have found that my bino's is really not up to par anymore.. I have also learned when it comes to glass that their is no cheap great glass and you usually get what you pay for. I would like to put a max limit of 1,000 dollars. what do you guys think.. I also perfer 10 X 42 or at least the ones i have i love the feel and overall size but lacking in great clarity. but for 300.00 they are pretty good pentex bino's. I was looking at the Euro HD has anyone owned a pair of them???? i would like real experience comments out in the field not just looking through them in a store. Their is a difference.

Here's what route I would take. I have a pair of the Japan built HG's and they are 85% of my friends SCL's at 40% of the cost. When I glass for elk through the dark timber the edge clarity of the items I am looking are are ten times more clear then the Leupold's I have (cascades) 10x Vs. my 8x Minox's. Both sets work great at low light, both are light weight and compact. The Minox's just give better edge definition which can help's me to decide if it is a antler or sticks bedding down behind some aspens.

Camera Land:

In High End Binoculars take a look at the Minox HG Series, Made in Germany. We have some, as new condition, show samples from some of the recent indoor trade shows. We are offering these at a fraction of the regular selling price. These are worth jumping on, while our supply lasts....These are complete, in the original box with case, Rainguard Ocular Cover, Strap and Minox Lifetime Warranty

#62188 - Minox German HG 8x33 BR only $629.99, reduced from $1295.00

#62189 - Minox German HG 8x43 BR only $649.99, reduced from $1345.00

#62190 - Minox German HG 10x43 BR only $679.99, reduced from $1395.00

#62192 - Minox German HG 10x52 BR only $749.99, reduced from $1595.00

Last edited:
When I moved to Idaho 20 years ago, I bought the best glass I could afford at the time.... Pentax. A few years and a pay raise later I bought a pair of Swarovski's. Wow what a difference. That made a believer out of me! Now fast forward to 2011...spring bear hunt. I am bragging to my friend about the phenominal binocs I have (still using the same pair... hard core every year on hundreds of hunts). So I tell my friend as we are glassing a distant black bear in the Frank Church Wilderness that is about 800 yards out that their is no substitute for European high-end glass... We trade binocs. His are the Alaskan Guide series from cabella's... I have to admit I was impressed. Not near the obvious difference I had noticed years ago. Now would his still be in service a hundred mule rides and hours and hours of dripping snow, rain desert sun........ I have my doubts. opticly though they were very good. BTW, I paid in 1994, $750.00 for the Swaro's and They are more than double that now but I may be using them for another 20 years, God willing!

how much these bino's weight.
i just hate to buy glass that i have not looked through???? but i do like the price tag.. again my 10 X 42 pentex is 6 years old .. and just up to par when i am shooting a 5.5 X 22 X 56 nightforce or my 4 x 14 IOR scopes. i sometimes have to look through my scope to check out the antlers at 500-600 yards just to check to see if the animal is a real shooter or not... and looking through cross hairs at antlers gives me the itchy finger plus i just don't like wheeling my gun around using it when i should be using my bino's.

how much these bino's weight.
i just hate to buy glass that i have not looked through???? but i do like the price tag.. again my 10 X 42 pentex is 6 years old .. and just up to par when i am shooting a 5.5 X 22 X 56 nightforce or my 4 x 14 IOR scopes. i sometimes have to look through my scope to check out the antlers at 500-600 yards just to check to see if the animal is a real shooter or not... and looking through cross hairs at antlers gives me the itchy finger plus i just don't like wheeling my gun around using it when i should be using my bino's.

Their website says 22.9oz. They have a magnesium body. Their warranty is also no fault.... cant beat that!

Jon

i went to their site but did not find them for the price that you posted. they were listed for 1050.00 can you send me the link..

In excitement over Minox announcing their No Fault Warranty on Sports Optics we are running a sale on New & Open Box products.
Please feel free to call Doug or Neil to ask any questions or place an order.

If the price on our web site is higher than what is posted here you can do do one of two things:
1) Place the order on our site and in the note area type "Inventory Reduction Sale" and we will issue a refund back to your payment method down to these special prices
2) Call in your order to us at the store @ 212-753-5128
Here is what we have come up with (everything is subject to availability due to limited quantities on open box goods)....

+1 on Minoxs. They are great optics for a great price. I have the 15x56 binos and got them open box for 599.99 from cameraland. I also have swaro ELS and they are freaking awesome. Better than anything in the world. The Minoxs were very nice though. If you have a thousand dollars and want 10x42s go get the swarovskis hands down. You can get a used pair on ebay or craigslist in your price range. They are basically unbreakable and the warranty is very good. My pair of swaros are used and my friend chiped the glass. Swaro replaced the galss for 50 dollars. A very fair price. Seriously get the swaros.

Thanks,
Dennis

+1 on Minoxs. They are great optics for a great price. I have the 15x56 binos and got them open box for 599.99 from cameraland. I also have swaro ELS and they are freaking awesome. Better than anything in the world. The Minoxs were very nice though. If you have a thousand dollars and want 10x42s go get the swarovskis hands down. You can get a used pair on ebay or craigslist in your price range. They are basically unbreakable and the warranty is very good. My pair of swaros are used and my friend chiped the glass. Swaro replaced the galss for 50 dollars. A very fair price. Seriously get the swaros.

Thanks,
Dennis

If your impressed with your 15x's you should try a pair of the German glass Minox's. Minox is a German company like Steiner and their sporting optics are made in Japan with Japan made glass. Only the HG line of bino's use German made glass from Schott and it is a notch up to say the least on their other bino's. A good friend of mine is both a Minox dealer and a Swarovski dealer. I was able to look through both at the same time and even take the EL's home for a trail and had a very hard time justifying the cost increase... so I bought another long bow instead with the savings :D I wish he was a Leica dealer... I would have gone with the Ultravids for the $$$

Unless you are getting a pair of the EL's or the new HD's the Minox HG's are so darn close that it boils down to the name in the end.

IMHO you cant go wrong with either when you are talking the older swarvo's

Jon

I looked through all the bino's mentioned above and ended up buying the Vortex Razor 10x50's. I am very please with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.