Your ideal 2700$ 300 win mag build.... Go

Stanm70

My Brother and I have decided to do long range hunting 300 win mag builds. We are building our rifles independently so no information of specs will be shared, and we will see what we end up with. I was looking for some personal opinions from you folks on what you would do in my situation.

Specs are:
-2700$ to spend on a complete rifle, EVERYTHING EXCEPT A SCOPE. This includes rings and bases etc...
-Can be custom action or trued factory doesn't matter.
-The barrel twist must be that so it can effectively shoot 200 grain rocks

Thanks for the info.

Shilen barreled action = $1500 (action made by Stiller but takes Savage barrels and bolt heads) + trigger (any Remington style trigger) + stock + bases.
Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.

assembly.jpg

bolt.jpg

Where did you hear that ? All of mine are 1/2MOA or better. Fit perfect, clean easily. I have not had a Lilja, nor a Krieger yet, where else would you go ? Bear in mind my barrels were $350 complete. No gunsmithing needed.

Don't skimp on a "real" custom action. They are precision machined with attention to detail and will have a standardized tenon thread and decent heat treatment. In the future, if the day comes that you or a relative (who inherits it) needs to sell it, it will bring more than any accurized Remington action. Pro gunsmiths admit that they like accurizing Remington actions, since they get the greater part of the pie in the complete weapon, even though the all up price is essentially the same than if one had started with a custom action to begin with.

The only downside is potentially needing to wait for the action, but most of the time the lead time for the action is not longer than for a barrel. With a custom action, the tennon can be spec'ed whereas for a Rem action it will be different or larger than spec on every gun.

True, a blueprinted Remington 700 action is as good as a custom action. But the custom action will hold its value far better than a Rem700.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.