Your Dope sheet

MBird

You can call this a Rant if you want; but made me think:
I was at the range this past Saturday, verifying data between my "Dope Sheet" and actual results, a gentleman that was shooting a couple benches over, came over and asked why I don't use a ballistic program that is available. (He then gave me a 5 minute sermon on an app for ballistics)
I replied that I prefer to use my own data because I know where it comes from and that I can trust it.
Having use FM 23-10 and FM 3.05.222 I can develop what I need and I know how I got the answers.

Am I out of Date?

Do other shooters make their own tables or rely on someone else to do their work?
If you rely on a ballistic program how accurate is it for you?

your not out of date... but some people that use apps have great luck with them. I use both and constantly cross reference them to each other. The ballistics apps are especially good if you only have a chance to shoot at one elevation and have hard data for that, but need to go to another area. Then you just shoot at several different ranges to check your new elevation and you can be pretty sure that it is good, especially if you shoot to your maximum effective range.
At the end of the day nothing beats hard data... but fighting technology will just put you at the back of the pack. Use the apps as a tool to take a lot of work out of the equation, but the best is always dope.
I do feel that guys like that fella at the range you mentioned are just waiting for failure, weather its a missed shot, wounded game or a missed opportunity due to battery failure.

I always make my own dope sheet. I use an app to get me close on extended ranges but then I fine tune from there and record my results. Actual shot data beats an app everytime in my book.

I'm odd man out on this one. In the past I would construct my own dope sheets being very skeptical of relying on a computer output to make corrections, particularly beyond 500 yards. I have found that with the availablity of better information on actual BC's, reliable chronographs, temperature stable powders, and proven ballistic programs, the software does work. For the last six years or so I have had excellent success and developed the confidence to trust outputs generated by Shooter, and my G7 RF, both which use the same algorithms. I will still verify my drop outputs but they are generally very close, if not right on. Worst case is that I migh tweek the velocity or BC inputs to fine tune. Once established at a given set of atmospheric conditions I have no issue moving to different locations and making accurate shots beyond 1000 yards by simply adjusting to the new conditions. I will not go back to dope sheets.
The key to being able to develop the confidence to use software to produce drop data is making sure that the inputs are ACCURATE and the rifle/load is CONSISTENT. IMO

I have both of those doctrinal resources on my desk.:D

I use both. I use the app to help start my drop chart, then shoot to verify and do any tweeking to the input data.
I also make a drop chart to around 600 or so yards (depending on caliber) and tape it to the stock or have it tied to the scope for quick reference. I try to log most every shot or group for a reference later. I believe that if you are solely relying on an electronic device you are setting yourself up for failure at the most inopportune time.

.....Once established at a given set of atmospheric conditions I have no issue moving to different locations and making accurate shots beyond 1000 yards by simply adjusting to the new conditions......IMO......

A very good opinion I usually find.

I'm behind the learning curve as far as the electronics go, but I've had the opportunity to see it applied effectively.

My first AHA! Moment was shooting 'chucks with tt35 in Oregon. With just a couple of sighters plugged in, he had me spot on.

Given barrel life is a factor, compressing data acquisition is a plus. If one changes environments much the ability to readily change data readily is a plus.

I won't give up data cards, most electronics have me switching in and out of my glasses. I've taped it to the stock like Bravo4 mentions, but now have 'wallet" style holder for my off forearm, that I can print cards large enough to read without coming off the rifle. Still testing but I think for me it will work.

I won't give up data cards, most electronics have me switching in and out of my glasses. I've taped it to the stock like Bravo4 mentions, but now have 'wallet" style holder for my off forearm, that I can print cards large enough to read without coming off the rifle. Still testing but I think for me it will work.

The quarterback style arm sleeves are a good idea as well, I know several guys that have been doing that for many years.

Everything you need to know out to 1500. Come-ups every 25 yards and windage every 100 yards for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 MPH full value wind in MOA. I make one up before season using whatever environmental parameters that is forcast for the elevation I will be at. Plus I carry a Kesrol Weather station and my Shooter APP is always turned on.

But , like the OP.... I spend lots of range time testing the come-ups and checking the scope tracking.

Attachments

• DSC00926.JPG
    DSC00926.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 96
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.