Yep, I Tumble Bullets.

a33b7c3b61f25c549b050283a3cc1d026353d604b322ae2b3050f0ee56437185_1.jpg

It would be interesting to take allegedly cold welded bullet/casings and have samples of the contact surfaces tested. While both contain copper and usually zinc, it's not the same ratio. Could demonstrate whether they're actually "swapping atoms" which would be true cold welding or if there's something (if anything) else going on.

Here are my nopes:

Neck Turning
Bullet runout checking'
Cold Welding
Changing primers for tuning
Drop tubes to compress powder
Ladders
OCWs

My Yups:

Quality components.
Mandrel sizing for consistent interference fit
Bullet Jump at touch, or 30 thou off
Case neck and primer pocket cleaning

My OCDs:

Shiny brass
Shiny bullets
strop case neck chamfers
Pretty outside case neck chamfer

BFD; strop case neck chamfer caught my attention! Being a sharpening aficionado, (not on brass of course) I'm curious how you go about this???

BFD; strop case neck chamfer caught my attention! Being a sharpening aficionado, (not on brass of course) I'm curious how you go about this???
Yeah I like knife sharpening by ceramics and leather stropping. I had some suede patches for the barrel vice sitting on the bench and feeling the bullets getting scratched while seating I figured I'd stick a corner of the suede patch in the case mouth and give it some twists. Sho nuff! It smoothed out the chamfer roughness.

Can one of you previous posters tell me how you know a projectile is 'suffering; from cold weld? I know how hard it is to use inertia hammers to seperate a bullet from the case (milsurp ammo). But I have no way to measure this so called 'cold weld'.
FWIW since reading about the dangers of 'cold weld' I now use graphite before seating my rifle ammo.
With cold weld you cannot separate the bullet from the case at all!On the only 1 I encountered I had to beat the bullet into the case with a hammer,ruining the bullet to get it to release.If My friend would fired that cartridge I fear it would have exploded his action ruining a perfectly good pre 64 model 70 Winchester.
I sat it in a shell holder so the primer would not be set off by the hammering.
I too started using graphite on case necks.
Edit to add,Not sure it was cold weld as there was a whiteish powder around the neck of the old 300 H&H bullet,could have been corrosion.
The rest of the bullets came out easily but that 1 scared me.

Last edited:
With cold weld you cannot separate the bullet from the case at all!On the only 1 I encountered I had to beat the bullet into the case with a hammer,ruining the bullet to get it to release.If My friend would fired that cartridge I fear it would have exploded his action ruining a perfectly good pre 64 model 70 Winchester.
I sat it in a shell holder so the primer would not be set off by the hammering.
I too started using graphite on case necks.
Edit to add,Not sure it was cold weld as there was a whiteish powder around the neck of the old 300 H&H bullet,could have been corrosion.
The rest of the bullets came out easily but that 1 scared me.
My moneys on corrosion for sure. Why would only one bullet from a batch of ammo cold weld to a case? On the other hand, not hard to imagine a bit of moisture or other substance getting on one particular cartridge from the batch and causing problems. I've seen some very corroded ammo that I šŸ’Æ threw in the trash. Steer clear!!!

That whitish powder sounds like something you might see near a battery postā€¦corrosion!!!!

Yeah I like knife sharpening by ceramics and leather stropping. I had some suede patches for the barrel vice sitting on the bench and feeling the bullets getting scratched while seating I figured I'd stick a corner of the suede patch in the case mouth and give it some twists. Sho nuff! It smoothed out the chamfer roughness.
I want to try that knife sharpening with stones and stropping. At present i content myself watching videos of others doing that when my insomnia is being a pest. Helps my brain turn off haha.

Right on manā€¦I do the same sorta thing with this

Attachments

• 93A5D934-3739-45AB-B9E8-667ED1F0528E.jpeg
    93A5D934-3739-45AB-B9E8-667ED1F0528E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69

Recent Posts