tumbling bullet

Chris J Spierings

Was at the range yesterday and one of the guys out there showed me a target he just shot where the bullet tumbled, creating an oblong almost side view looking hole in the target, low and left of where he ws aiming by a good 3 -4 inches.

The rest of his shots were all inside of half an inch. He is a very good shot.

He was shooting a 6.5 CM with 147 ELDMs over H4350. As we were talking about things he mentioned that it usually happens somewhere between shots 20 -30 somewhere around 25 or so.

His velocities were pretty good right around 2700 or a touch below.

The barrel had been cleaned about 50 rounds ago.

He has even gone so far to length check and weigh the bullets. All were within a grain or grain and a half or so. The tips weren't deformed lengths were all very close.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

The only think I can come up with that he hasn't checked in bullet diameter and I am just guessing could this happen from the bullets be undersized?

sounds like the 147 came apart mid flight. well documented problem on this sight and a few others. I had 6 out of 500 come apart, usually once you get past 200 yds you wont even know what happened there just wont be a hole in target. it will look like a sideways or a banana shape hole in target.

Interesting.... I shoot the same recipe at about the same speed. Wonder what his twist is? My 8 twist shoots them great!

number of grooves and how tight and if the throat is rough seems to be the main problem. my 7.5 twist PRC and 9 twist 264 wm both did it

sounds like the 147 came apart mid flight. well documented problem on this sight and a few others. I had 6 out of 500 come apart, usually once you get past 200 yds you wont even know what happened there just wont be a hole in target. it will look like a sideways or a banana shape hole in target.

Seems like you are on to something from the hole.

Its a savage 12 long range 1:8 rifling I believe.
Any bullet that may be suseptable to damage from rough throats or bores will probably not like a Savage barrel. Examination wth a bore camera in a Savage barrel will normally scare the owner. All though some shoot well the norm of late has been exceedingly "rough" button marks. Uneven land widths and more copper deposits than Chile has. Out of all my savage barrels one however is very nice, a 5r 6.5 cm, very accurate and cleans easily.
If the 147 eldm has a history of coming apart because of barrel problems it might be of interest to you to look at the bore with a scope or cam. If dubious a set of Tubbs final finish bullets might smooth it out for you.
My .02,
Randy

Interesting thoughts on the savage. I have had many savages, all shot fine. I shoot 140 eld's and 147 eld's in both custom barrels and stock. I have put roughly 1500 147's down range and 2000 140's. I don't recall ever seeing an issue. I do suspect if it's only a few bullets out of hundreds I might not ever know, I don't punch paper much. I shoot steel at long range and PRS match's. It would be interesting to see what his loaded rounds look like. Maybe his brass or die's damage the bullets somehow. I also could suspect the cycling of the bolt from the magazine process.

I've put over 3000 147 eldm into paper and never once had an issue. I use this bullet for 1000 yard competition and have never had a bullet miss at 1000. Every bullet has made it there without fail. I shoot mine at 2850 with h4350 from a 28 inch barrel. I have shot a 10 shot group under 4 inches in a match with these bullets. Lots of 5's. I'm with some of the others on this one. Sounds like a flaw in the barrel. Even though it was shooting 1/2 inch. A rough spot or any irregularities in the rifling could disrupt the jacket enough to make it fail in flight. I shoot all custom barrels so that might be why I haven't had an issue. My friend at the range uses them too. He gets 2900 plus from his creed. I chambered his too and we both have very long throats in target actions. I really doubt there is a bullet problem going on here.
Shep

Just a thought here. But has he tried a little lighter bullet...like 140 gr. I'm not real sure here but seems to me a 1 in 8 twist might limit the weight to 120 to 140 gr or so. Like I said just a thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.