Yavapai, Lassen, or Other Gunsmith Degree Program?

lv2hunt

Hello,

I am interested in possibly attending Yavapai's, Lassen's, or another Gunsmith west-coast degree program starting next fall and would like any feedback on their programs from those that have attended or are knowledgeable on the subject. I searched the forum and read through most relative threads, but am still looking for more information. A little background on me, I have been working as a fighter jet mechanic for almost twenty years, owned an auto shop and am now in a position to pursue something different with my career. I am a Marine Corp Veteran, have an Associates Degree and an Airframes and Powerplants certificate. I am an avid outdoors man and enjoy hunting, fishing, shooting and reloading.

Regards,
Brandon, aka: lv2hunt

Last edited:
Hello,

Just wanted to share here first, as this site has definitely helped me hone my passion for long range shooting and and hunting over the past few years. I received good news and am excited to start a new journey in life! I recently heard back from the Yavapai Gunsmithing College located in Prescott, AZ and they have accepted me into the 2-year degree program starting in the fall of 2014. Providing no major road blocks before now and then I will be there.

Thanks,
lv2hunt

Trinidad College in Trinidad, Co. Some of the sponsors are Brownells and Sierra Bullet. Not far from the Whittington Shooting Center.

Come in early, stay late, do your best, do extra credit. Try not for an "A" but to blow them away. Perfection is the only thing. Keep in mind the precision rifle methods are not up to date. Actions are not trued with a tap kit from PTG and there is a lot more to fitting barrels than a go no go gauge. You will pick that up later. I would take all the extra machining, metallurgy and welding classes you can squeeze in on top of the gunsmith curriculum. Some extra woodshop classes that specialize in wood restoration and refinishing will be a big help. Stock guys probably are is the highest demand and command the highest prices. We have a stockmaker guy out here that gets $3500 plus for wood stocks and he is backed up for years. Metal engraving get huge money. There is good money in general gunsmith repair work too. Since you are going to the full program don't limit yourself. The school is like a giant intro class. It gets you familiar with most aspects. Getting good comes from practice and constant continuing education.

Simply put, you will get out of it what you put in to it. They'll be 'impressed' if you apply yourself, follow their instructions, and don't try to tell 'um how it's done one the internet.

Update: Gunsmithing school is not going to work out after all, life got in the way. Unfortunately, I had to give up my seat for fall.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.