Xtreme Hardcore has no idea how a muzzle brake works

ColoYooper

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2013
Messages
53
I hate to slam a sponsor, but I cringe every time the Xtreme Hardcore Gear Slotted Muzzle Brake add appears on my screen. It is obvious that the folks at Xtreme Hardcore Gear figure that if a few slots work OK, a few more holes will work even better. So for the folks at Xtreme Hard core, a muzzle brake works by significantly reducing the contribution that the powder generated gas adds to the energy (Mass*Velocity*Velocity) that is INLINE with the barrel. It turns out that the gas has a significant mass and a REALLY significant Velocity. According to my old Sierra manual the gas is travelling at 4700ft/sec. (much faster than the bullet!!!) Which when you square it accounts for a lot of the energy down the barrel. By diverting a significant percentage of the gas out perpendicular to the barrel, one can significantly reduce the recoil contribution of the gas and signifantly reduce the recoil. If I start with a 13lbs 300wm rifle shooting 190gr bullets at 3017fps with 76.5gr of powder my perceived recoil is 21.21ftlbs. If I use a slotted brake and divert 75% of the gas to the side, leaving only 25% of gas inline with the barrel, my recoil drops to 10.72 ftlbs. I've cut the recoil in HALF!!! Now if I get drill happy and drill holes in the front of the brake, I might only reduce the inline muzzle gas by 65%. Those 6 extra holes at the front of the brake have reduced by recoil to 11.91 ftlbs. Those 6 extra holes just increased the recoil by 11%.

At this point there is almost no need in going into the stupidity of placing top only holes on a brake...there is plenty of documented video online of the floated barrel slamming into the stock with that configuration.
 

FEENIX

Well-Known Member
LRH Team Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2008
Messages
14,165
Location
Great Falls, MT
I hate to slam a sponsor, but I cringe every time the Xtreme Hardcore Gear Slotted Muzzle Brake add appears on my screen. It is obvious that the folks at Xtreme Hardcore Gear figure that if a few slots work OK, a few more holes will work even better. So for the folks at Xtreme Hard core, a muzzle brake works by significantly reducing the contribution that the powder generated gas adds to the energy (Mass*Velocity*Velocity) that is INLINE with the barrel. It turns out that the gas has a significant mass and a REALLY significant Velocity. According to my old Sierra manual the gas is travelling at 4700ft/sec. (much faster than the bullet!!!) Which when you square it accounts for a lot of the energy down the barrel. By diverting a significant percentage of the gas out perpendicular to the barrel, one can significantly reduce the recoil contribution of the gas and signifantly reduce the recoil. If I start with a 13lbs 300wm rifle shooting 190gr bullets at 3017fps with 76.5gr of powder my perceived recoil is 21.21ftlbs. If I use a slotted brake and divert 75% of the gas to the side, leaving only 25% of gas inline with the barrel, my recoil drops to 10.72 ftlbs. I've cut the recoil in HALF!!! Now if I get drill happy and drill holes in the front of the brake, I might only reduce the inline muzzle gas by 65%. Those 6 extra holes at the front of the brake have reduced by recoil to 11.91 ftlbs. Those 6 extra holes just increased the recoil by 11%.

At this point there is almost no need in going into the stupidity of placing top only holes on a brake...there is plenty of documented video online of the floated barrel slamming into the stock with that configuration.
Do you have hands on experience with them, esp. on their intended use/design?
 

Trending threads

Top