Wyo Task Force - Nonres Comments!

Hunting has become all business. No one should be able to get a tag for anything outside their county of residence.

That would take care of all this nonsense.

I have hunted something... antelope, deer or elk in wyoming for a few years now. I have probably spent somewhere in the ballpark of $15-17K in wyoming (tags, retail, food, gas, points, hotels, processing , taxidermy and the like). I'm behind the curve to ever draw "good" tags for elk or deer and burned my antelope tags this year on a mediocre unit in fear of this very thing.
I'm getting old. Too old to buy more points in a state that I'll never draw a tag in. It will be sad if this passes. I am the guy how donates to the fish and game, access yes, and buys the silly raffle tickets.
I expect this will happen in most western states though. Colorado will let every 3 year old elk get carried out (the ones not eaten by the wolves), but I suspect if you wanna hunt in New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Arizona, Nevada and now Wyoming (expect Montana to follow), you'll have to live there.
Do the math on the amount of money wyoming has taken in on points alone. It's 10's of millions. That won't pay the taxes on the loss of retail revenue when 75% of the hunters don't apply anymore; when it becomes like applying in Oregon. No one I know applies in Oregon.
I guess I'll burn the elk and deer points and hunt Montana while I can.
Non-resident hunters bring a lot of money that the residents won't.

Or maybe NR should only be able to hunt with an outfitter
This is the most ridiculous freedom-hating comment I've ever seen….🤮 I hope that was a joke.
what would that accomplish other than getting us closer to the aristocratic system that we fought to separate from, and literally just celebrated as the biggest win of our nations freedom just yesterday?

It was a joke but it's bout as ridiculous as saying residents should only apply for private land licenses when these public lands reside in the states we live in! You've obviously never hunted Alaska, where on most species you must go through an outfitter unless you have family that live there so your point is week at best. The fact is that it is public land and there for everyone to use, and one that residents must except, and NR have to except the fact that residents are always going try and do whatever they can to push back on any extra hunting pressure. Hence Wyoming's 90/10.

Just emailed. I'm don't understand why people are so against non-residents hunting in their state? In the last 20 years I've only hunted my state of residency maybe 5 years? Pretty sure I pay federal taxes. My family has been hunting WY on and off for the last 20+ years. I haven't hunted there since 2015, but have been buying points for elk, deer and antelope since. I guess I can serve my country but have my right to hunt it stripped away by people who think they are entitled to the game in their state just because they live there. I forgot when I took my oath of office it was just for the state I lived in…my bad.

It was a joke but it's bout as ridiculous as saying residents should only apply for private land licenses when these public lands reside in the states we live in! You've obviously never hunted Alaska, where on most species you must go through an outfitter unless you have family that live there so your point is week at best. The fact is that it is public land and there for everyone to use, and one that residents must except, and NR have to except the fact that residents are always going try and do whatever they can to push back on any extra hunting pressure. Hence Wyoming's 90/10.
Would take a pretty smooth brained resident to think taking 25 tags from non res and giving them to a resident would in any way reduce hunting pressure the Daylight savings time of game management
Alaska only requires a guide or family companion on Grizz bears, sheep and mtn goats presumably due to the dangers of the prey or their terrain so plenty of hunting opportunities for other species for non residents

Would take a pretty smooth brained resident to think taking 25 tags from non res and giving them to a resident would in any way reduce hunting pressure the Daylight savings time of game management
Alaska only requires a guide or family companion on Grizz bears, sheep and mtn goats presumably due to the dangers of the prey or their terrain so plenty of hunting opportunities for other species for non residents
Hahaha. I love it. Been a long time since I've been in a good forum fight. When should we start the Californian and Montanan insults? Look I'll say it again, I'm not against NR hunters. But complaining about how a state that your not from runs their management of licensing system and prices seems pretty "smooth brained".

Agreed on residents having to apply for private land lessons.
I have hunted Alaska, I was actually stationed up there in Fairbanks for 3 years and couldn't hunt sheep, goats or brown bear because I didn't cheat the system and become a short term resident. It killed me to be living in a state and unable to hunt the three dream species (for me).

I think it's ridiculous to force capable DIY hunters to pay for guides services. We live in what's supposed to be a free market, if there aren't enough people from NYC that want to pay an outfitter then that's a lack of market demand. If I'm willing to accept the risk of hunting in remote and rugged mountains that are inhabited by large carnivores, that should be my own decision, not regulated by a state.

Agreed on residents having to apply for private land lessons.
I have hunted Alaska, I was actually stationed up there in Fairbanks for 3 years and couldn't hunt sheep, goats or brown bear because I didn't cheat the system and become a short term resident. It killed me to be living in a state and unable to hunt the three dream species (for me).

I think it's ridiculous to force capable DIY hunters to pay for guides services. We live in what's supposed to be a free market, if there aren't enough people from NYC that want to pay an outfitter then that's a lack of market demand. If I'm willing to accept the risk of hunting in remote and rugged mountains that are inhabited by large carnivores, that should be my own decision, not regulated by a state.
100% agreed

If they are going to strip the rights of US citizens on federal land, then maybe we can start a petition to place it all on the auction block. I'll buy a half section of sage so I can take my kids antelope hunting without a guide.

I think it's ridiculous to force capable DIY hunters to pay for guides services.
That's what I'm afraid of as I can't afford a $4,000 and up for an elk, $2,000 for an antelope, etc.
I think it is going to end up like concert tickets where they go on sale but somehow the ticket agencies end up with every seat in the first 50 rows from the stage and the face value $50 ticket is sold for $500-$1,000.
I'm fine with them giving the tags to resident hunters but not to guide services. Let the hunter get the tag then hire a guide afterwards.

Nobody is trying to take federal land or the right to use it from anybody and nobody is saying you can't use it. We as residents have to draw an antelope tag just like you do. Our odds may be better but that's a perk of being a resident and a well deserved one. I don't draw a tag every year but it doesn't keep me from camping,hiking or shooting on these lands and nor should it you. The whole outfitter comment was a ridiculous response to the ridiculous statement of residents only applying for private land remark.

I think many of you are missing a point, when it come to the thought of residents only applying for private land tags.
The point being!
A vast majority of residents do NOT own or HUNT private land.
Most private lands in Wyoming are owned by large rancher/ business that sell hunting rights to outfitters.
So now do you understand why most WY residents would think that is a bad idea they are just as limited to public lands as us non residents.

If they were to do a fair system of tags draws.
"which this is government so not much of a chance it would happen"
In my opinion it would be something like this.
Tags would get divided up by percentage of public and private land . All public should be available to all Americans .
The private only available to land owners based on the amount of land they own and they then would be the only one with the option to sell tags to outfitters.
The thought to me that the government has the ability and does sell tags to private businesses/outfitters is truly wrong. Especially when most of these tags are sold for use on public property.

Unfortunately this happens in almost all aspects of government