Wyo Task Force - Nonres Comments!

How much is a resident tag compared to a resident tag in Wyo? I hunt CO and it is a significant difference. I don't just go out to kill an big game animal I go out to enjoy hunting game in country different than where I live and see friends I sometimes haven't seen for a year. I do care about the CO wildlife and general state of hunting there. I hunt WV for the same reasons even though we have much bigger deer at home.
Imagine my surprise when I read some of the comments in this thread just to find out I am such a burden to my, "Fellow hunters" in those states.

For sheep and moose nonres pay $150/year for a pref pt and Wyo res only pay $7 each! Wyo res don't even have or pay pref pt fees for deer, elk, and antelope!

Not only does Wyo nonres pay substantially more for tags but for deer, elk, and antelope Wyo res have contributed $0.00 to the WG&F in the form of pref pt fees the past 25 years since res don't have a pref pt system in place for those species.

They already have a plan in place to address any funding shortfall when 90/10 becomes reality. Non-residents who are focusing on Wyoming's local economies or G&F funding are grasping at straws. Betting 99.99% of non-residents could care less about either of these issues.

As far as license prices go for residents, I'd like it if they take the extra tags and create a separate pool for residents and charge non resident prices. I'll put in for those tags every year and gladly pay the extra cost if odds are increased. Problem solved...

UMMMM am I the only one thinking "its their state they should get the cream of the crop first" Non resident hunters should never be on the same field as the residents!! I for one think the people who live and PAY the freaking taxes should be at the top of the heap before anyone else... the Days of it having too be fair and everyone gets a trophy should be over, but yet here we are!

I wish Idaho would jack the NR prices again twice as much and have half as many tags and NR should have too apply no more over the counter tags period , I'm so sick and tired of being the last straw for everyone who didn't draw anything ,, they buy a tag for pennies and come out here and shoot the first muley with horns and then brag about it like its a hard feat to shoot a 3 point 2 1/2 year mule deer buck from their pickup!!

Last edited:
Wyo res may pay taxes but who supports 77% of the WG&F revenue from license and pref pt fees....nonres! Proponents to 90/10 believe that the revenue losses will be picked up by 2nd draw and doe tags. Take a look at how many doe and 2nd draw deer and antelope tags were issued in 2021...hardly any! With demand high there will likely be 0 2nd draw tags available in future years. What happens if Wyo's deer, antelope, sheep, and moose populations continue to tumble. How about years with winterkill, disease, and predators? It certainly is a gamble hoping that revenue losses will be picked up selling additional tags!

Another consideration is how many nonres hunters are recruited each year. Currently nonres applicant numbers are steadily increasing and the WG&F's budget from pref pt fees rise. With 90/10 many nonres will slowly but surely drop out of applying and paying these high fees as tags become tougher to draw!

What really stinks is the younger generation hunter! Why are nonres dad's going to apply their young sons/daughters for tags with impossible draw odds plus extremely high pref pt fees? Pretty sad if you ask me!

I'm not against NR hunters as long as the supply of resources outweighs the demand of tags. Wyoming has done a terrific job of managing their wildlife and wish Montana would follow suite. Wyo has multiple trophy units for mule deer and break up their seasons. As much as I love hunting the rut here in MT it's drastically damaged the quality of our mule deer. NR licenses is big money here in MT so I don't see fish and game changing anything soon.

What really stinks is the younger generation hunter! Why are nonres dad's going to apply their young sons/daughters for tags with impossible draw odds plus extremely high pref pt fees? Pretty sad if you ask me!

So if I'm following you, yer thinking non-resident kids won't be able to hunt if they can't hunt Wyoming? How about they hunt their own states? With a little cash, whitetail opportunities abound if dad is serious about taking his kid hunting. Idaho has draw opportunities for kids and their dad's. A friend draws a deer tag in Montana about every third year. What about Colorado with their generous amount of general licenses? Doesn't seem that sad if dad truly wants to take his kid hunting...

"" What really stinks is the younger generation hunter! Why are nonres dad's going to apply their young sons/daughters for tags with impossible draw odds plus extremely high pref pt fees? Pretty sad if you ask me!""

what????
I have young hunters in the family and the first thing I don't do is put them in on hunts that are high draw odds without a back up plan ,, which in reality is the main plan because they don't even now what I put them in for and are happy too just get too go,, and if we draw the kick *** hunts then they are stoked!! There are so many other states that are better off for up and coming hunters too get the feet wet in?? I've never understood why so many adults set the bar so high for their kids just too be let down every year!!

if you don't like what they do .. don't put in.. its simple! just gives me that better odds

@Triple BB dont send em here 😁

I'm with you 100%. We seem to be the last state (ID) with game resources that just gives tags away to Non-res. I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it if surrounding states didn't put up such walls (like 90/10). I don't fault WY for it at all, it seems to be a lost cause for any state. I feel bad for states with low animal densities and minimal opportunities, but it frustrates the crap out of me to see more non-res plates in Idaho than Idaho plates.

I'm assuming WY residents are feeling the same frustrations. I'm not a fan of the idea, I have points in WY. It's a beautiful place to visit and hunt. I respect the land and the resources, but I've seen the destruction and disrespect that non-res can bring to the equation. It's just sad that there's been enough of this behavior to create walls among us sportsmen.

We are supposed to be in this together. We are acting more like toilet-paper hoarders in 2020….

I'm with you 100%. We seem to be the last state (ID) with game resources that just gives tags away to Non-res. I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it if surrounding states didn't put up such walls (like 90/10). I don't fault WY for it at all, it seems to be a lost cause for any state. I feel bad for states with low animal densities and minimal opportunities, but it frustrates the crap out of me to see more non-res plates in Idaho than Idaho plates.

I'm assuming WY residents are feeling the same frustrations. I'm not a fan of the idea, I have points in WY. It's a beautiful place to visit and hunt. I respect the land and the resources, but I've seen the destruction and disrespect that non-res can bring to the equation. It's just sad that there's been enough of this behavior to create walls among us sportsmen.

We are supposed to be in this together. We are acting more like toilet-paper hoarders in 2020….
Aren't idaho deer and elk non resident tags capped at the same number they've been at for like 10 years now? Yoy arent seeing more non resident plates you are being conditioned to look for a boogie man- you know what Idaho does have a lot more of than 10 years ago? Idahoans and wolves

differentiating sportsman by the area code they live in is the most asinine bs ever purported. Every feasible combination of American has the potential to be an absolute slob or a good outdoorsman.