WY Tag Apps Due 1-31

i've applied 3 years in a row for an area my buddy has a cabin right against some of the best elk hunting in Wyoming. only problem is they only give 2 tags and 150 applied last year with 2 pref points. i just put in for general this year. would just as soon go elk hunting before i die.

I hunted antelope in WY last year and bought 1 elk and 1 deer point. I put in for the elk special for gen area for the Feb. draw. G&F as well as my outfitter say my chances are in the 90 percentile for non-res. But I just looked at my points in the WY g&f website and the elk point didn't show up! So I'll have to call Mon. and maybe fax my receipt. It should'nt be a problem. My outfitter says he saw so many big bulls walk last year, it shouldn't be too hard to find a bull in the mid 300s. Good luck to you.

i've applied 3 years in a row for an area my buddy has a cabin right against some of the best elk hunting in Wyoming. only problem is they only give 2 tags and 150 applied last year with 2 pref points. i just put in for general this year. would just as soon go elk hunting before i die.

Dave:

If you were to put in for that area as first choice, and the general as 2nd choice, and you didn't get your first choice pick, you would get the perferance point even if you pulled the general tag as your 2nd choice.

i'm not sure you're right about that. my understanding is when you get a tag, you loose your pref points. the problem is when you put in for a limited draw and don't get drawn, the general tags are pretty much gone in the first round also. so even if you have a general for 2nd choice, you won't get drawn if there's none available.

i'm not applying in those limited draws any more. it's just a rip off. if things go the same, i could apply for another 50 years and not get drawn.

From the 2008 F&G Book:

"The preference point system is designed to award a point for each unsuccessful draw attempt in a hard-to-draw area for individuals who elect the preference point option and remit the additional preference point fees, yet not penalize those who wish to list an easier to draw area on their second or third choice. If a person draws on the second or third choice when electing the preference point option, a preference point will be awarded even tho a license is issued. If the person is successful in drawing his or her first choice, then all preference points are deleted but the preference point fee paid for that year is refunded. DRAWING A SECOND OR THIRD CHOICE DOES NOT CAUSE PREFERENCE POINTS TO BE DELETED." Their bold print, not mine.

I burned my mule deer and antelope preference points last year in a general area, but am still accumulating the elk points. We thought about going this year, but with the economy, we are just going to purchase points. We've accumulated a point for every year that they've been available, so I assume that when we decide to go we should have a very good chance of getting what we put in for.

If you skip a year in applying for points, your points won't be lost, but you can't skip 2 years in a row.

thanks for posting. i learned something. knowing that i don't think i'd do it any differently. i want to go elk hunting and if i put in for a limited draw and a general for second, i'll probably never get to go hunting elk in my lifetime.

QUOTE=esshup; We've accumulated a point for every year that they've been available, so I assume that when we decide to go we should have a very good chance of getting what we put in for.

did you look at how many applied for elk with 2 pref points in your area and how many tags they gave out?

Dave,

I only have one point for elk and put in this season for elk special in general area but I'm being led to believe (by G&F and guide) its almost a sure thing. I only put in for elk this year cause I don't have faith in drawing deer with only one pref point and I really want to hunt.

Sounds crazy but if I don't draw I'll almost be relieved cause I have my heart set on a big mulie!

Somewhere on their F&G website there is a page that you can check to see how many points are needed for a certain area (% of people drawn with X number of points). That might help fine-tune your search. I hear that in Co. you can still buy elk tags over the counter. My buddy and I are putting in for Mule Deer in Co for 2nd season. If either of us draws, the other one can buy an elk tag and we can still hunt together. (we can't apply as a "party" like we can in Wy.).

A little bit closer to home is Kentucky. I hear that they are increasing the number of tags from 800 to 1,000 or 1,100 for 2009.

Not many people are aware that there is a drawing in PA each year for 40 or so elk tags. Last year i believe it was 24 people who drew had 5 points. I've got 4 so far. There are big animals there too. Non-residents have the same chance of drawing as residents and a mere $10 gets you in the draw. Well the cats out of the bag.....there goes my odds!

7mm, do you mean to tell me you applied for a special license ($1100) for a general tag? i didn't think anyone did that. so far, everyone that had 1 point has drawn a tag. roughly 14% are left for some without any points. yes, you'll get a tag.

you can look up the no. of people that apply and the no. of tags that have been given out in all areas for the last 4 years. my odds last year were 78 to 1 in the area my buddy has a cabin. that's why i'm going for a general tag.

i live in Pa and have never applied for an elk license. you're right, the elk up here are every bit as big as out west. there were 4 bulls where i was deer hunting this past year. 1 small 6x6. two 6x6's that were mid 300's, and a 7x8 that was a 400" monster. i forget how many thousand apply for those 40 tags. if you get drawn, i'll show you where they were last fall.

Dave,

If or when I draw I'll certainly pick your brains about some spots, why not.

In a hunting mag at home somewhere I saw the #7 world record, a god awful beast taken in the last couple of years, where....in PA.

In my conversation with G&F they felt that last year with 1 point I would have drawn without the special. However in light of the fact that this year there are applicants going into the draw with a third point versus my one, the special would be the way to go.

Be advised this theory will allow me to sleep at night believing I didn't pee away some hard earned rapazoolas!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.