WY gen reg

midwesthunter

Looking to gain as much info as I can for my first mule deer hunt. I am thinking about spending my 2 points on unit 37 but not sure about that yet, I may keep getting points for a different unit. What would you guys consider a good general hunt region? Thinking Y, since it has lots of good high county from what I have read. With lots of deer up there. But how easy is it to access this country without horses? Is there a better choice for a easy tag? WHat do you think would be a good area to cut our teeth on?

With 2 PPs I'd either put in for LQ unit 37 or down in Region G or H if you want a neat high country hunt. The unit 37 hunt would not have nearly the pressure that G & H would have though because they are on a general tag for residents and they get pounded. The high country your'e talking about in Region Y is more elk habitat and is in the northern half of the Region and although there are deer there it's not easy hunting, especially for a newbie. I'd go down in the southern units west of Kaycee in Y for deer and it can be done with no PPs. You could put in for 37 or one of the southern Regions and then Y as a second choice. If you get your first choice you burn your PPs, but if you don't you'd get a Y tag and keep your PPs. You could then buy a 3rd PP this year to have 3 going into the draw in 2014 that may be real expensive if these fees they are proposing go through. Hope that helps a little.

37 is in M not Y and the advice about hunting Y is very questionable as unless you know someone,go with a guide or spend a lot of time scouting your chances are very slim of taging anything bigger than a fork=The best places in Y to hunt are either privet or landlocked. I live here and try to avoid the west side of the Bighorns.
Have not hunted 37 but shot a good buck out of 36 last year on my way to hunt 35.
Not much help with where to use your points as residents dont aquire them but I sure wouldnt waste much time in Y....there is a reason there are usualy leftover tags for that area!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.