Wy Mule Deer Region C & Y

Harpoon brother

Has anyone got Muley experience in either Region C or Y or both?

I'm familiar with access issues in C and wouldn't be opposed to a trespass fee for access if the WIAs and accessible BLM won't produce. I might also be thinking about combo-ing some type 6 lopes within the Deer region. I've hunted lope south of Newcastle but the deer weren't to plentiful in the area.

I'd never hunt deer again in C unless I had a good ranch to hunt on and if you find one you'll pay a hefty trespass fee or an outfitter that has it leased. Y has plenty of public land, but you pay the price with a lot of hunters in the areas that have game until they move onto private property after the shooting starts the first couple days. Region B where you're talking about is in the dumps as far as deer and it's now bucks only and unit 10 over toward Wright has now gone from a general tag to LQ it's so bad!

Thanks!

I'm pretty interested in unit Y. I could always hunt the Natl Forest, but the area around Kaycee looks intriguing. If not for the hunting them for it's history.

The area down towards Kaycee is known more as the traditional mule deer area in Y, but the public lands get hammered because of all the units in Y being under the general tag along with a lot of antelope hunters in that area. The BHNF way up toward Montana has more elk by far than deer, but that's where I'd probably head for a Y deer hunt to try and get away from people even though the deer hunting is tough. The problem with that though is that you could run into a lot of elk hunters like unit 38 usually has depending on when you go.

I have hunted last two years in region Y with general tag in hand. First year we went from buffalo to kaycee. Primarily hunted blm and national forest. We saw many muley bucks but non on public. Until the last day last hour of light of a seven day hunt. So I opted to take the spike vs going home and telling my wife about all the muley I saw but couldn't shoot.

Year two we primarily hunted bighorn national forest. This time we didn't make it out for opening
day and went the following week. My friend and his dad both shot nice 5x5 opening day and told me about the others slobs out running around. So I was pumped. As the previous year day seven rolls around no buck. About the same story as the previous year. But that mourning a 2x2 yes a 2x2 finally landed in public with a group of eight muley doe. I remembered how my wife was pleased the previous year I didn't come home empty handed and let me go back. So I opted for another young buck. I'm not sure if I'm a gluten for punishment but I put in for another region Y general tag again this year. And looking to take one of those Sage Rats too.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.