Burgess Junction, WY

htime8

I was just wondering if anyone hunted north of burgess junction this last year. I was up there for about a week and only saw 2 deer and a moose. I put on a lot of miles to get away from all the people and still nothing. I only heard about 3 other shots from other hunters so they must not have been seeing much. I used this trip as somewhat of a scouting trip for when I would draw an elk tag for 38. Now with the lack of animals i really don't know where to apply.

So my questions are:
Are there a lack of animals in the area?
I saw a lot of old sign but nothing fresh…do they move down to the private land?
Is there somewhere better I should be applying…maybe less hunting pressure
Eastmans magazine said it was a good elk hunting area…never even saw one…are they full of it?

I will gladly take any advice you guys have

My scouting up that way two years ago when I was thinking about using PPs for deer was the same thing. I also have talked with several others who hunted it last year and the deer for the most part are not up in that area. They seemed to find the good hunting down toward Shell Creek Canyon and it's tributaries when they moved on down there and when they got away from the crowd they got one real nice buck and saw many other deer and some decent racks. I'm surprised on your moose and elk comment because it's a great area for those two animals. You may want to send Tikkamike a PM as he lives in Basin and probably has pretty good knowledge of that whole area up there.

hey thanks Topgun 30-06. I will have to send Tikkamike a pm and see if he could help out.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts