WY Antelope Hunt

mmh

My 15 Year old son & I just got back from our antelope hunt. Each of us got a buck & a doe. He took his at 350 & 300 yds. & I took both of mine at 300. We were both hunting w/ .308 rifles. We were hoping to take game at longer ranges but when we got to WY and got sighted in, our maximum range was 400 yards - I was not going to let him (or me) shoot any any distance that we could not hold a 5" five round group from field conditions. The wind really kicked our a**. The last day we were there was a non-hunting day, so we spent the day shooting. We both got down to where we could hold 5" at 500 yds. But getting the wind call right was still hard for us (it was windy that day - steady 15 mph wind w/ strong gusts)

Overall, it was a great experience. This was a guided hunt. Next year we will try again, but I am going to look into doing an unguided hunt. Also, we hope to extend our range. Is my 5" group requirement too conservative? Those of you that have shot at 700 yds., what kind of groups do you hold at those ranges?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.