WTB Swarovski Z5

Unless I am reading the specs. wrong on the Z5 the light transmission is only 90% and it does not have very much elevation adjustment probably because it has a 1 inch tube.

Nikon advertises that their scopes have a light transmission of 95%.

This site is mainly for long range shooting and it seems to me that the Z5 may not be a good choice for long range shooting.

For about the same price you could get a NF with a EBR 1 or 2 reticle and then get a custom turret matched up to your rifle.

For about 1/2 the price you can get a Vortex Viper PST FFP scope with illuminated reticle.

I have a 6-24x50mm PST MOA with illuminated reticle and a custom turret. I think it is a very good long range scope.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=564977&highlight=

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=574886&highlight=

Just my .02,

joseph

PS: By the way I am not affiliated with Vortex in any way.

Last edited:
Joe, Thanks for the information, but I think the Z5 fits my requirements better than any other scope I looked at per size, weight, power, adjustability, and glass quality. Dave

Can I ask what you are using it for? Just curious. Seems to be an expensive choice. Heck of a glass, but just curious what you are using it for.

I like that scope also, wouldnt mind one on one of my elk rifles, like the lower end for grizz counrty. Also it is 1/2 the weight of NF. Swaro has great glass, think I saw one on SWFA sample list.

I looked at the Swarovski Z5 for my next scope. But, for similar price, I chose the Nightforce. It's heavier, but I'm not hauling my rifle on high altitude elk hunts either.

Thanks to everyone who has responded!! Yes it is expensive and it is heck of a glass, sooo it is going on a 300 Weatherby and hopefully I draw a Elk tag in NM. There will be mountain hunting with alot of walking and glassing. That's why I want a lighter weight and higher power. The gun will also be used for Whitetail so the lower power will be used. The scope gives you alot of options but the price. Hope this is what you were looking for as a answer. Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.