Swarovski Z5

sliceman

I am thinking of getting this scope in 3.5-18X with the ballistic turret for my new cooper 7mm-08 for use out to 500 yards. Does anyone have any practical experience with this scope's turret/low light ability at range, etc.

I to was seriously considering getting the Z5 in that power range. It appeals to me very much but in the end I got a conquest 4.5 x 14 x 44. Just couldn't bring myself to put that much money in the Swaro. It is still of interest to me and I may have to get one later. It seems to be a perfect power range for a 22-250 I am building and I like the 44 mm objective. It is compact, light and just a neat scope. I keep wondering about the tracking ability of it though and its knobs don't seem quiet substantial enough. I hope someone will address that; however, Swaros good reputation for standing behind their products makes these concerns a bit less critical.

I hope someone with experience with them will add more info to this thread.

Last edited:
I have two Z6's one is the 2.5-15x56 and the second is the 3-18x50, both are ballistic turret models. While I couldnt comment on the particular model you are looking at I can say that as stalking scopes they are amongst if not the best on the market. Optically at low light they are excellent, I have shot rabbits at night under lamp using these scopes and I have always been impressed. What I will say is that if you want to dial in wind that can be a little difficult as the windage adjustment is under a cap which you need to take off. It is onething I wish swarovski would alter on them. I shoot a fair amount at twilight and I have owned a number of different scopes and have had the privileged to use friends rifles with other high end manufacturers and the swarovski's are the best I have used. The ballistic turret is easy to use and handy to have predefined ranges dialled in a simple turn to you set aiming point and away you go. The scopes is extremely well made and strong. The use of the ballistic turret is explained well in the manual and like i said earlier very easy to use. If you would like any more info please feel free to pm me and I will go into more detial. I would definetly recommend any of Swaro's scopes. I bought mine as an investment, I have changed rifles but I havent changed the scopes.

Dont know if I'm to late on your post but Haveing owed a swarovski 3x12x50PH which is now a discon. model. I dont know why. for hunting at low light magnifing reticle you just can't beat, I than also tried Schmidt & Bender 3x12x50. I decided to compare the to so no better time to compare lowlight capabilitys than at night. Over looking a field on a clear night both scopes could see in the open. The diffrence was along the woodline. The Swaro. I could see the edge, but thats was it. The S&B I was able to make out object along tree line such as tree limbs some trees etc. Swaovski is a great scope. I dont like their new reticle in the second focal plane for two reason one I hunt till the last min. when it get a little dark in the woods I turn the mag up to about 4-5 power And I can see the cross hairs just fine. the 2nd is and i spoke with swarovski on this when you have a second focal plane reticle accuracy is only good for what ever magnifiction you are shooting at for what range. (They will not garuntee accuracy!) A first focal plane reticle magnifies the crosshair in the same portion as the target. Now S&B garuntees the scope for 30 years and the garuntee accuracy.

Haveing said that I would'nt go with the Z5. I would pay the extra $250-300 and get a Schmidt Classic 3x12x50mm or even 2.5x10x56 A7 reticle. You can get a turret put on the scope just like there percion hunter model. for an extra 200. That will get you out 500 plus. and you''l have a 30mm tube scope with plenty of power for 500yrds. 18 power is alot. Marine sniper day scout scope are 3x12 and they shoot at 1,000yrds. better quality glass means you have to use less power. S&B is a little heavier scope, they are biult like tanks. Plus usually you get more out of better quatliy. Hope I helped you out some

i shoot this scope on a 30.06 and it's great, the glass is nice and the ballistic turret is a very neat feature. other that shooting extreme ranges (more than 1000 yards) you can beat a swarovski

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.